Credit Transfer/Course Exemption

Credit Transfer

Transfer of credits may be granted to students in recognition of prior studies completed at an appropriate level as recognized by the University. Transfer credits will be counted toward meeting the credit units required to earn an award from the University. Students are not required to take the courses for which credit transfer has been granted. Since students may be pre-registered with courses at the start of a semester/term, students are required to take the initiative to drop the course(s) for which credit transfer has been approved.  

Students with a recognized qualification (e.g. Advanced-Level Examinations, International Baccalaureate Diploma, 13-year school-leaving qualification, and recognized Associate Degree/Higher Diploma) may be admitted with advanced standing to a major. Students admitted with advanced standing will complete the degree with a reduced credit unit requirement, and will not be entitled to any credit transfer on the basis of their previous qualifications attained prior to admission.

Transfer credits normally do not count in the calculation of a student’s GPA, except where special arrangements have been made (e.g. in joint programmes with other institutions). In the student’s academic record, a “TR” grade will be assigned to the equivalent CityU course(s). Where an equivalent CityU course cannot be established, credit transfer may be granted towards a degree requirement. A special course code with the appropriate credit units will be entered in the student's academic record.

Transfer credits must have been earned no earlier than eight years before the date of enrolment at the University. Individual academic units may stipulate a more stringent requirement. The Academic Regulations have also stipulated the following maximum number of transfer credits that students can obtain throughout their studies (including transfer credits for study exchange or joint programmes):

  • Normative 4-year Degree: 60 credit units
  • Advanced Standing I: 45 credit units
  • Advanced Standing II: 30 credit units
  • Double Degree: Half of the credit units required for the award of the double degree to be stipulated by the cognizant academic units
  • Associate Degree: At least half of the credit units required for an award of the University must be earned by the successful completion of course required by the programme concerned


Course Exemption

Students may be granted an exemption from specific courses based on prior study. Credit units are not earned for an exempted course. Students are required to take other courses to make up the credits required for fulfilling the degree requirements. Since students may be pre-registered with courses at the start of a semester/term, students are required to take the initiative to drop the course(s) for which course exemption has been approved.

Students who have been granted course exemptions are required to fulfill the minimum credit requirements for majors (i.e. 45 credit units) and for their respective degrees in order to graduate. In the student’s academic record, an exempted course is recorded with a “Z” grade. If the exempted course is the pre-requisite of another course at the University, students will be regarded as meeting the pre-requisite requirement with the course exemption.


Application Procedures
  1. Students who wish to apply for credit transfer or course exemption based on previous qualifications attained prior to admission, must make an application before the start of the first semester of the University admission. Current students who have outside work completed after admission to the University, must submit an application immediately in the semester following attainment of the additional qualification.

    Application Period
    Semester A14 July 2017 to 2 September 2017
    Semester B11 December 2017 to 13 January 2018

    (ONLY new students who are admitted in Semester B 2017/18 or current students who have outside work completed after admission to the University are allowed to submit the application in this period.)
    Late applications received after the above deadlines will NOT be accepted.
  2. Before submitting an application, make sure that your studies elsewhere are equivalent in level and content to the specific CityU course. Consult your Major Leader/Academic Advisor if you are in doubt.
  3. Separate applications should be made for courses or qualifications completed at different institutions. Attach the official transcripts (or certified true copies) and other documentation in support of the application. Applications without relevant documents will not be considered. Supporting documents will not be returned to students.
  4. To apply, obtain the application form on-line (available during application period only):
    • Login to "AIMS" with your EID and password
    • Select "My Applications (for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes)" under the "Student Record" tab, then "Credit Transfer / Course Exemption"
  5. Complete the form, print it out, attach supporting documents and submit your application in person at the ARRO Service Centre, together with the original receipt of the required fees payment. Students of the Telford Annex should submit the application to the General Office of the Telford Annex.
  6. Since student's application for credit transfer/course exemption has to be considered by academic units concerned, the processing time varies. We will inform you of the result via email as soon as possible.