Associate of Science in Surveying (ASc S)
This curriculum applies to students admitted in or before 2017/18.
Mode of Study: Full-time
Normal duration: 2 years
Programme Leader: Dr Eric Cheng
Deputy Programme Leader: Dr Paul Ho
Tuition fee: Click here for more information
General enquiry: email@example.com (e-mail) / 3442 7089 (hotline)
The Associate of Science in Surveying aims to produce graduates to possess:
- specialist and content-based knowledge and skills related to the surveying profession to enable them to work as a competent associate professional in the surveying and construction industry; and
- intellectual abilities and transferable skills to apply skills and strategies in learning, to deal with problems creatively, to communicate, interact and work well with people, and to operate across disciplines and professional boundaries.
The graduates are expected to be equipped with the required broad-based academic foundation and practical skills in surveying enabling them to enter into an international workplace or to continue education in local and overseas universities.
Graduates of this programme may work as Survey Officer / Valuation Officer / Works Supervisor etc. in the relevant government departments including Architectural Services Department, Buildings Department, Lands Department, Housing Department, Highways Department and Rating and Valuation Department etc.
Graduates may also work in the private and public sectors in the fields of project management, property development and valuation, estate agency, building surveying, quantity surveying, contract administration, property management and construction.
To be eligible for admission, you must satisfy the Entrance Requirements.
Programme Structure and Curriculum
Main Subject Areas (depending on the relevant stream)
- Common courses for the three streams
- Technology for Living Environment
- Science for Human Comfort
- Legal Studies
- Building Measurement 1
- Building Communication
- Construction Technology
- Real Estate Valuation
- Construction Materials and Structure
- Building Service
In addition to language courses, the following courses may also be studied depending on which stream is chosen:
- Building Control
- Development and Fire Safety Control
- Property Management
- Maintenance Technology and Management
- Estate Agency and Marketing
- Procurement Practice
- Building and Fire Safety Control
- Design and Specification
- Estate Agency and Market
- Construction Contract Administration
- Building Costs Studies
- Building Measurement 2
- Building Surveying Project
- Estate Surveying Project
- Quantity Surveying Project
Click here for detailed AScSURV Programme Structure & Curriculum (for students admitted in 2017/18).
Professional Accreditation and Recognition
This programme (for 2017 cohort or before) has been successfully accredited by:
- The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS), graduates can undergo its training scheme called Assessment of Professional Competence to become a professional surveyor bearing the title AMHKIS and/or MHKIS. Re-accreditation will be sought for the 2018/19 admission cohort.
This programme is also recognized by many local and overseas universities for admission with advanced standing into second or final year of their degree programmes.
Students of this programme can join different activities including study tour, site visit and talk etc.