Acquiring Career Competencies
1. Build & maintain a positive self image
Remember all career activities cannot be separated from who you are and whom you perceive yourself to be. Maintain a healthy mind set is important for life and work.
- Respect yourself and your own work
- Open to changes
- Not to be afraid to assert yourself as long as it is reasonable
2. Interact positively & effectively with others
Career situations are a type of social situation. It requires a specific set of social etiquette which can be learnt.
- Learn when to returning calls, and emails
- Learn to be punctual
- Keep commitments
- How to express yourself when you disagree with someone of different status
- How to behave in team situations--when to lead and follow
- How to manage gossips and office politics
3. Change & grow throughout life
We all change overtime as a person. Be informed of these changes as they also play a role in shaping your career development as much as they affect other aspects of your personal life.
- Spouse or Family Issues
- Change in life directions
Learning and Work Exploration
4. Participate in lifelong learning supportive of career goals
- Acquiring language skills
- Learning work or work-related skills and knowledge
5. Locate & effectively use career information
- Know what is required in a job
- Know what is expected of you from an employer
- Know about the changing job market and changing skill requirements
6. Understand the relationship between work, society & the economy
- Keep informed
- Participate in social activities outside home and work
- Broaden your life circle and make different types of acquaintances
7. Secure / create & maintain work
- Know employer expectations
- Know your strengths and weaknesses in the work scene
8. Make career enhancing decisions
- Know when to leave a job
- Know when go back to study
- Start your own business or go into partnerships
- Know the conditions to enter at a work level not on par with your qualification and/or experience
9. Maintain balanced life & work roles
- Learn how to unwind, switch off, and get a life of your own
- Learn the limits of your responsibility and duty
- Learn how to structure work patterns and develop sound work habits
10. Understand the changing nature of work
The nature of work changes as much as our lives do. Keep abreast of the changes and device strategies to cope.
11. Understand, engage in, & manage the career building process
- Find out what is required in the next level of work
- Continuously refining and honing skills in your work area
- Learn to evaluate job opportunities and when to change a job
+ Career Advising
Explore your career potentials and work aptitudes so that you can make a better transition from the university to the workplace or for further education pursuit.
Steering Toward Your Career Goals
Discover your career interests and values through career workshops and occupational tests.
One-on-one Career Counselling
Meet with our Career Advisors to discuss your career strategies and directions of development. Learn how to gauge your strengths and weakness at work and seek for improvement.