BA, MA & PhD (KULeuven, Belgium), Pg Dipl Com Pol & Plan4Dev (ISS, The Hague)
International and Development Communication
Globalization and Cultural Identity
Sustainability, Participation and Culture
Knowledge Societies and Online Activism
ICT & Media Policies
Intercultural Communication and Language
Participation and Social Change
Human Rights and Conflict Management
Academic and Professional Experience
- UNESCO Chair in Communication for Sustainable Social Change at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst (USA)
- Honorary Guest Professor at the Huazhong University of Technology and Science (HUST), Wuhan
- Researcher at the ‘Brussels Center for Journalism Studies’ (BCJS), Belgium
- Editor-in-Chief of ‘Telematics and Informatics' (Elsevier)
- Editor of Book Series on ‘Communication for Development and Social Change’, and ‘Communication, Globalization and Cultural Identity’
- Host of the “CSSC Encounters” show on AmherstMedia.org
- Founding President of the European Consortium For Communications Research (ECCR, www.ecrea.eu)
- Vice-President of the International Association of Media and Communication Research (IAMCR, www.iamcr.org), in charge of Academic Publications and Research, from 2000 to 2004.
- Chair of the Scientific Committee for the World Congress on Communication for Development (Rome, 25-27 October 2006), organized by the World Bank, FAO and the Communication Initiative.
- Former Dean of the Faculty of Political and Social Sciences, KUBrussels
- Taught International Communication and Development Communication in Australia (Brisbane), Belgium (Brussels and Antwerp), the USA (Cornell, Amherst), The Netherlands (Nijmegen), and Thailand (Thammasat, Bangkok).
- Jan Servaes (ed.) (2013) Sustainable Development and Green Communication. African and Asian Perspectives, London/New York: Palgrave / MacMillan.
- Jan Servaes, (ed.)(2013) “Special issue: Focus on China”. Telematics and Informatics, 30/ 4, November.
- Jan Servaes (ed.) (2013) Sustainability, Participation and Culture in Communication. Theory and Praxis, Bristol/Chicago: Intellect/University of Chicago Press.
- Jan Servaes (ed.) (2012) “Special issue: The future of US-Chinese Media Communication and Public Diplomacy”. Public Relations Review (2012), vol. 38, # 5, December.
- Jan Servaes, (ed.), (2012) “Special issue: Green Information Communication Technology”, Telematics and Informatics, 29/4, November, 335-417
- Jan Servaes (2011) “Social Change”, Oxford Bibliographies Online (OBO), New York: Oxford University Press, New York.
- Jan Servaes (2010) Comunicacion para el desarollo humano y el cambio social, Catedra Benjamin Bloom para Educacion en Guatemala, Guatemala: USAID.
- 托斯Thomas P.N. , 瑟韦斯 Servaes J. (2009)《亚洲知识产权与传播》 , 高蕊 著 (Copyright and communication in Asia ) (Translated by GaoRui), 清华大学出版社 (TsingHua University Press, Beijing)
- Jan Servaes (ed.) (2008) Communication for Development and Social Change, Sage, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore.
- Jan Servaes & Shuang Liu (eds.) (2007). Moving Targets. Mapping the paths between communication, technology and social change in communities, Penang: Southbound.
- Jan Servaes & Patchanee Malikhao (2007) Communication et developpement durable, Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization FAO.
- Jan Servaes (ed.) (2007) “Communication for Development. Making a Difference --- A WCCD Background Study”, in World Congress on Communication for Development: Lessons, Challenges and the Way Forward, Washington DC: World Bank.
- Jan Servaes & Levi Obijiofr (eds.) (2007) “Special issue: Indigenous Cultures and Diffusion of Innovations”, International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology (IJARGE), 6, 6.
- Pradip Thomas & Jan Servaes (eds.) (2006) Intellectual Property Rights and Communications in Asia, New Delhi: Sage.
- Jan Servaes & Nico Carpentier (eds.) (2006) Towards a Sustainable European Information Society, ECCR Book Series, Bristol: Intellect.
- Shi-Xu, M. Kienpointner & Jan Servaes (eds.) (2005). Read the Cultural Other. Forms of Otherness in the Discourses of Hong Kong’s Decolonisation, Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Jan Servaes (ed.). (2003), The European Information Society: A reality check, ECCR Book Series, Bristol: Intellect.
- Jan Servaes (ed.). (2003), Approaches to Development. Studies on Communication for Development, Paris: UNESCO Publishing House.
- Jan Servaes (1999, 2nd ed. 2002) Communication for Development. One World, Multiple Cultures, Cresskill NJ: Hampton Press (Foreword by Jan Pronk).
For More Information