BA (Fudan University), MA (Fudan University), PhD (Indiana University, US)
Use and Effect of New Media
Network Analysis of Online Communications
Web Mining, e-Social Science
Quantitative Research Methodology
Teaching and Research
- I teach new media theory (diffusion, use, and impact), quantitative methods (survey, experiment, content analysis, statistical analysis), and new technologies (Internet, multimedia, and database). Most recently, I teach a university general education (GE) course on social network analysis for media, business and technological applications.
- My current research projects involve growth of online social networks, sustainability of social media, diffusion and use of social computing, internationalization of communication research, among others.
- I coordinate a Web Mining Lab, in which a group of postdoctoral fellows, doctoral students, research assistants, and occasional visitors carry out interdisciplinary projects.
- A list of my publications in SCI/SSCI journals, along with citation and collaboration information, is compiled by ResearcherID.com.
A longer list of my publications, along with citation information, is compiled by Google Scholar.
- Member of Editorial Board, Communication Research, 2000-present.
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Public Opinion Research, 2002-present.
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Asian Journal of Communication, 2003-present.
- Member of Academic Committee, Shenzhen Key Lab for Cloud Computing Technology and Applications, Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, 2010-12.
- Chang Jiang Chair Professor of Communication, Renmin University of China, 2007-10.
- Member of Panel of Humanities, Social Science and Business Studies, Research Grants Council, Hong Kong SAR, 2007-09.
- President of Chinese Communication Association (USA), 2002-04.