Summer Research Project
Each GCSP scholar has to complete a two-month summer research project/equivalent research project in order to fulfill the component of “Research Experience”. It can be an individual or a group project.
Composition of each group project
- Maximum three students in each group.
- Justifications for manpower needs have to be made by indicating workload of each member in the research proposal.
- Each group can be comprised of students from different years, Departments, Schools/Colleges*.
- The leader of each group must be a GCSP scholar.
* Priority will be given to groups with more than 50% CSE students.
The College may provide subsidy to summer research project. Reimbursement after the successful completion of the project will apply.
- Allowance per month per student (Maximum TWO months only).
- Material subsidy per group (Justifications have to be made).
- Additional resources will be provided to overseas project.
- For overseas project in Mainland, 50% of the total travel expense or $2,000, whichever is lower will be subsidized.
- For overseas project in any other places, 50% of the total travel expense or $4,000, whichever is lower will be subsidized.
- The originality of the Research Project.
- The alignment between the Research Project and the 14 Grand Challenges.
- Multi-discipline topics addressing the Grand Challenges are recommended.
Outcome of each project
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours of research for each project.
- Approved by one or more GCSP mentors.
- Submit a final report, a poster and a log book for recording research progress* to the Steering Committee by mid-September.
* No allowance will be provided if students fail to submit a final report and a poster.
- Selected projects will be presented in the Discovery and Innovation Gala.
- GCSP scholars (Year 2 or above) have to submit a detailed proposal, a detailed curricular plan and/or a budget plan for the summer research project to the Steering Committee by early April.
- Results for Stage Two application and summer research project subsidy will be announced in May.
- The summer research project is expected to begin after the examination.
- GCSP scholars have to contact their mentors before starting the research project, and should meet their mentors regularly during summer.