Eligibility & Application
Student Exchange > Outgoing Exchange Students > Eligibility & Application
Application Period | 4 - 23 January 2017
Exchange Period | Semester A or B of 2017/18
Exchange Quota | Institutional level | College level | Departmental level
Selection Interview | Institutional level: 20 -27 February 2017 | College level: No interview | Departmental level: please check with your home department
Result Announcement | Early March 2017
Minimum Requirements for Application for Student Exchange Programme
Full-time student of a government-funded bachelor's degree programme offered by CSE
|Year of Study
Nominative 4-year students: Must have completed at least ONE year of study at CityU and have major declared before applying for exchange programme.
Advanced Standing students: Must have completed at least ONE year of study at CityU before undertaking exchange studies.
|Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)
||At least 2.5
|English Language Proficiency
Achieved one of the following Minimum requirements:
- TOEFL: 79 (internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test)
- IELTS: Overall band of 6.5
- Public Examinations:
- Grade C or above in one of the following:
- HKALE Use of English / English Literature
- GCEAL English Literature (or Grade B at GCSE English Language)
- Level 4 or above in HKDSE English Language
- Senate approved English courses: Grade C or above
- Any other equivalent English proficiency result, including a minimum of 1650 SATI or International Baccalaureate Diploma with an overall minimum score of 28.
If the English language requirements prescribed by the host institution are higher than the above, you must follow such requirements for admission purpose.
Students MUST fufil the English requirement before application. Only students apply for programmes which are conducted in Chinese in Taiwan and mainland China can be exempted from the English requirement.
Remark: Some partner universities/institutions require applicants to submit their TOEFL / IELTS score reports together with their applications for admission. You are therefore strongly advised to prepare your TOEFL / IELTS test as early as possible.
- Identify up to 6 exchange institutions (2 at Institutional level, 2 at College level and 2 Departmental level) from the list of partner institutions that fit your study plan and interests. Students MUST select at least 1 Institutional level programme.
- Consult your Programme Leader or Departmental Exchange Coordinator about the suitability of the proposed exchange study and procedures relating to your application. The discussion should include your tentative course plan and credit transfer arrangements.
- Submit your Student Exchange Application and proof of English result through AIMS (under "Student Services") by the application deadline.
- Nomination will be made by your Department based on your preferences, CGPA and English proficiency.
- Attend the selection interviews scheduled by Global Services Office (for Institutional-level programme) and CSE (for College-level programme) if you are shortlisted.
Remark: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend the selection interview. If you have also applied for the exchange programme at the institutional-level, Global Services Office will invite you for another interview. The partner institutions, however, reserve the final decision on the admission of exchange students.
Normally, there are two rounds of applications each academic year. However, no second round of applications will be organised if all exchange places have been allocated to eligible students in the first round. Interested students are therefore advised to apply for exchange studies as early as possible.
||Semester A or Semester B of the next academic year
||Semester B of the current academic year
- Good academic performance
- High English proficiency (Bonus will be granted if IELTS / TOEFL results can be provided)
- Active in extra-curricular activities/community services
- Presentable and cheerful
- Positive attitude towards his/her studies at CSE/ CityU
- Good knowledge of the achievements of CSE/ CityU/ Hong Kong