Prof. Jonathan J. Wylie's research is focused on fluid mechanics, granular materials and other industrially motivated problems. He obtained his PhD and was subsequently awarded a Junior Research Fellowship from King's College, Cambridge. He is the author of a number of research papers and has publications in "Science" and "Physical Review Letters". He is an associate editor of "Mathematics-in-Industry: Case Studies" which is a new journal launched by the Fields Institute, Canada. He was a member of the organising committee for the "International Conference on Applied Mathematics: Modeling, Analysis and Computations" in CityU (2008) and is also a member of the organising committee for the upcoming "Third workshop on Industrial Applications" in CityU (2009).
- Y. H. Deng, J. J. Wylie & Q. Zhang "Deflection of a dilute stream of particles"
Physical Review E 82, 011307 (2010).
- R. Yang & J. J. Wylie "Degenerate orbit transitions in a one-dimensional inelastic particle system"
Physical Review E 82, 011302 (2010).
- J. J. Wylie, Q. Zhang & T. K. Siu "Can Expected Shortfall and Value-at-Risk be used to statically hedge options?"
Quantitative Finance (2009).
- J. J. Wylie, Q. Zhang, Y. Li & H. Y. Xu "Driven Inelastic Particle Systems with Drag"
Physical Review E 79, 031301 (2009).
- H. Huang, R. M. Miura & J. J. Wylie "Dopant diffusion during optical fiber drawing"
SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 69, 330 (2008).
- Y. Fang, M. Gao, J. J. Wylie & Q. Zhang "Anomalous behavior of a single particle falling through a funnel"
Physical Review E 77, 041302 (2008).
- J. J. Wylie, Q. Zhang, H. Y. Xu & X. X. Sun "Drag-induced Particle Segregation with Vibrating Boundaries"
Europhysics Letters 81, 54001 (2008).
- J. J. Wylie & H. Huang "Extensional flows with viscous heating"
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 571, 359 (2007).
- H. Huang, J. J. Wylie, R. M. Miura & P. D. Howell "On the Formation of Glass Microelectrodes"
SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 67, 630(2007).
- S. Ben Hariz, J. J. Wylie & Q. Zhang "Optimal rate of convergence for nonparametric change-point estimators for non-stationary sequences"
Annals of Statistics 35, 1802 (2007).
- J. J. Wylie, H. Huang & R. M. Miura "Thermal Instability in drawing viscous threads"
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 570, 1 (2007).
- J. J. Wylie, Q. Zhang & X. X. Sun "Anomalous Ritchmyer-Meshkov Fingering in Dissipative Particle Systems"
Physical Review Letters 97, 104501 (2006).
- J. J. Wylie & Q. Zhang "Collapse of periodic orbits in an inelastic one-dimensional particle system"
Physical Review E 74, 011305 (2006).
- J. J. Wylie & R. M. Miura "Traveling Waves in Coupled Reaction-Diffusion Models with Degenerate Sources"
Physical Review E 74, 021909 (2006).
- J. J. Wylie, D. L. Koch & A. J. C. Ladd "Rheology of Suspensions with high Particle Inertia and moderate fluid inertia"
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 480, 95 (2003).
- J. J. Wylie, B. Voight & J. A. Whitehead "Instability of magma flow with volatile-dependent viscosity"
Science 285, 1883 (1999).
- J. J. Wylie & D. L. Koch "Particle clustering due to hydrodynamic interactions"
Physics of Fluids 12, 964 (1999).
- J. J. Wylie & J. R. Lister "Stability of straining flow with surface cooling and temperature-dependent viscosity"
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 365, 369 (1998).
- J. J. Wylie, K. Helfrich, B. Dade, J. R. Lister & J. Salzig "Focussed flow in fissure eruptions"
Bulletin of Volcanology 60, 432 (1998).
- J. J. Wylie & J. R. Lister "The effects of temperature-dependent viscosity on a flow in a cooled channel"
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 305, 239 (1995).