CityU is committed to the principles of sustainability and continual improvement of its environmental performance, recognising its obligations both locally and globally, to the present and succeeding generations.
The University endeavours to exceed the requirements of environmental legislation and regulations in the Hong Kong SAR and to ensure that our operations are conducted in an environmentally responsible manner.
In achieving environmental performance improvement, the University will:
- Promote schemes for the collection of materials appropriate for recycling;
- Seek alternative ways of disposing of and reducing waste in environmentally acceptable ways;
- Re-use materials wherever practicable;
- Consider the "environmental-friendliness" of any item to be purchased;
- Distribute information in the most environmentally friendly manner possible and move towards a paperless office as far as possible;
- Maintain all existing plants and equipment to a high standard in order to maximise efficiency and reduce unnecessary energy consumption;
- Make provisions and improvements to the built environment in the University to facilitate reduction of waste generation and water and energy consumption;
- Raise awareness among staff and students of the need for energy conservation, waste reduction, re-use and recycling through education, training and promotional campaigns; and
- Co-operate with the government and agencies to address environmental issues in general and to improve the environment of the University in particular.
To implement the University's environmental policy, departments / centres / offices are encouraged to devise their own implementation strategy with reference to the following guidelines:
Guidelines on Environmental Good
Practices for Departments/Centres/
Offices and Individuals at CityU
The 5Rs (Reuse, Rethink, Restore, Reduce, Recycle)
- Encourage 2-sided printing/photocopying;
- Re-use envelopes for internal mailing;
- Use electronic mail for communication and on-line electronic filing to reduce paper usage;
- Recycle waste where appropriate (e.g., paper/carton boxes, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and laser printer cartridges);
- Use small font size and spacing in typed paper communication as far as possible;
- Advertise transferable items on the University Network prior to disposal; and
- Check with Campus Development and Facilities Office for availability of items before making any new purchase.
- Turn off lights when exiting;
- Switch off unnecessary lights;
- Align office partitioning and furnishing to take advantage of natural lighting;
- Install and activate energy-saving software in computers;
- Switch off computers, printers, photocopiers, lighting and air-conditioning when they are not in use;
- Procure and use equipment with energy efficient features; and
- Do NOT waste potable water.
- Consider the "environmental quality" of the services and goods in procurement;
- Monitor the volume and risk level of chemicals consumed in laboratories;
- Avoid use of hazardous substances or materials wherever possible;
- Avoid use of toxic substance or material that may create special waste treatment/disposal problems; and
- Use environmentally friendly modes of transport to and from the University.
[ Full Environmental Policy ]