|“"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for use or spare us"
~ M. Proust ”
|A positive learning culture is essential for a student’s whole-person development in his or her university life. To foster such a favourable culture within the SA Department, the SAGE scheme was developed in 2006/07. The scheme aims to provide a wide range of student-centred activities for enhancing the learning culture of the SA undergraduates, contributing to the incubation of ideal graduates according to the institution’s mission statement.|
|Intended Learning Outcomes|
|The SAGE scheme is designed to help the students equip themselves with the essential learning skills, and develop a set of positive learning attitudes. The scheme offers training within an overall culture that encourages cooperation, challenge-taking, and personal growth; draws on students' participation and commitment in achieving training goals; cultivates students' sense of confidence in their ability to master learning; and encourages students’ active construction of meaning by drawing on their daily learning. After participating in the scheme, the students should be able to
- solve the problems they have to face in the learning process;
- use time and set priorities wisely;
- become intellectually creative, independent and competent; and
- develop a set of proactive learning attitudes and be a life-long learner.
|Under the SAGE scheme, students are guided to participate in a wide-range of student-centred activities organized by the SA Department and other units in the institution. These activities include:
- construction and regular updating of a learning e-portfolio;
- writing of civic awareness blog;
- participation in the events organized by the Language Clinic;
- participation in the City Toastmasters Training Club; and
- attendance in the Learning & Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI) workshops.
|Recognitions and Awards
A certificate will be issued to the students who have completed the prerequisite activities set out by the coordinating committee. Besides, recommendation letter written by the academic advisor for the purpose of applying for awards and scholarships.
For any enquiries on the SAGE scheme, please contact Dr. Arthur Cheung, the chair of the coordinating committee.