Dr. Walid DAOUD
PhD (Sheffield, UK), Dipl-Ing (TUG, Austria), GCHE (Monash, Australia), MIEAust (Australia)
Associate Professor (School of Energy and Environment)
Dr Daoud graduated from the University of Technology Graz, Austria with a Dipl-Ing degree (BS and MS) in Chemical Engineering and received his PhD in bilayer photovoltaic cells from the University of Sheffield, UK. He then joined Possehl Besi Electronics Hong Kong in the semiconductor substrate industry as a process development engineer to establish a prototype reel-to-reel photoresist coating for high-precision plating. In 2002, he took up a postdoctoral position at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, where he played a substantial role in the establishment of a Nanotechnology Center in 2003 which earned him a research fellowship and lectureship. In 2007, he moved to Monash University to take up a lecturer post and was promoted to senior lecturer in 2010. He joined City University of Hong Kong in the School of Energy and Environment in 2012.
Dr Daoud’s current research is mainly focused on the areas of renewable energy conversion and storage and smart textiles including device fabrication and efficiency characterization. His group is developing materials and devices for harvesting free or waste energy, such as light and kinetic energies. Being intermittent sources, it is equally important to find storage solutions for renewable energy. Therefore, the group is also interested in the modelling and fabrication of compatible energy storage flow batteries.
We are looking for postdocs, research assistants, and PhD students in the areas of renewable energy conversion and storage with the following requirements. For Postdoctoral applicants: a PhD degree in a relevant science or engineering field and publication record. For Research assistants: a Master degree or Bachelor (Honours) or equivalent in a relevant science or engineering field and preferably research experience. For PhD candidates: a Master degree or Bachelor (Honours) or equivalent in a relevant science or engineering field and English fluency. Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application (including CV and copies of transcripts) via e-mail to Dr. Walid Daoud at email@example.com.
- Yang X, Daoud WA (2017), Synergetic effects in composite-based flexible hybrid mechanical energy harvesting generator, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2017, 5, 9113 - 9121.
- Chai G, Luo S, Zhou H, Yan F, Daoud WA (2017), CH3NH3PbI3−xBrx perovskite solar cells via spray assisted two-step deposition: Impact of bromide on stability and cell performance, Materials & Design, 125, 2017, 222-229.
- Huen P, Daoud WA (2017), Advances in hybrid solar photovoltaic and thermoelectric generators, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 72, 1295–1302.
- Hu Y, Kwan T, Daoud WA, Lin C (2017), Continuous Ultrasonic-mediated Solvent Extraction of Lactic Acid from Fermentation Broths, Journal of Cleaner Production, 145, 142-150.
- Yang X, Daoud WA (2016), Triboelectric and Piezoelectric Effects in a Combined Tribo-Piezoelectric Nanogenerator Based on Interfacial ZnO Nanostructure, Advanced Functional Materials, 26, 8194-8201.
- Wang Q, Daoud WA (2016), Temperature Influence on the Kinetics of V(IV)/V(V) in Methanesulfonic Acid for all Vanadium Redox Flow Battery, Electrochimica Acta, 214, 11-18.
- Li L, Nikiforidis G, Leung M, Daoud WA (2016), Vanadium Microfluidic Fuel Cell with Novel Multi-layer Flow-through Porous Electrodes: Model, Simulations and Experiments, Applied Energy, 177, 729-739.
- Gali N, Ning Z, Daoud WA, Brimblecombe P (2016), Investigation on the Mechanism of Non-photocatalytically TiO2-induced Reactive Oxygen Species and its Significance on Cell Cycle and Morphology, Journal of Applied Toxicology, DOI: 10.1002/jat.3341.
- Luo S, Daoud WA (2016), Crystal Structure Formation of CH3NH3PbI3-xClx Perovskite, Materials, 9, 123-135.
- Hu Y, Daoud WA, Cheuk K, Lin C (2016), Newly Developed Techniques on Polycondensation, Ring-Opening Polymerization and Polymer Modification: Focus on Poly(lactic acid), Materials, 9, 123-135.
- Luo S, You P, Cai G, Zhou H, Yan F, Daoud WA (2016), The Influence of Chloride on Interdiffusion Method for Perovskite Solar Cells, Materials Letters, 169, 236-240.
- Nikiforidis G, Daoud WA (2015), Indium Modified Graphite Electrodes on Highly Zinc Containing Methanesulfonate Electrolyte for Zinc-Cerium Redox Flow Battery, Electrochimica Acta, 168, 394-402.
- Nikiforidis G, Xiang Y, Daoud WA (2015), Electrochemical Behavior of Carbon Paper on Cerium Methanesulfonate Electrolytes for Zinc-Cerium Flow Battery, Electrochimica Acta, 157, 274-281.
- Nikiforidis G, Daoud WA (2015), Thermally Modified Graphite Electrodes for the Positive Side of the Zinc-Cerium Redox Flow Battery, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 162, A809-A819.
- Luo S, Daoud WA (2015), Recent Progress in Organic-Inorganic Halide Perovskite Solar Cells: Mechanisms and Materials Design, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3, 8992-9010.
- Wang L, Daoud WA (2015), BiOI/TiO2-Nanorod Array Heterojunction Solar Cell: Growth, Charge Transport Kinetics and Photoelectrochemical Properties, Applied Surface Science, 324, 532-537.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA, Wang XG (2015), Assimilating the Photo-induced Functions of TiO2-based Compounds in Textiles, Textile Research Journal, 85, 1404-1428.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA, Sun L, Wang XG (2015), Self-cleaning Wool: Effect of Noble metals and Silica on Visible-light-Induced Functionalities of Nano TiO2 Colloid, Journal of the Textile Institute, 106, 1348-1361.
- Wong A, Daoud WA, Liang H, Szeto YS (2015), Application of Rutile and Anatase onto Cotton Fabric and their Effect on the NIR Reflection/Surface Temperature of the Fabric, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 134, 425-437.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA, Sun L, Wang XG (2015), Photostability of Wool Fabrics Coated with Pure and Modified TiO2 Colloids, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 440, 299-309.
- Afzal S, Daoud WA, Langford S (2014), Superhydrophobic and Photocatalytic Self-cleaning Cotton, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2, 18005-18011.
- Nikiforidis G, Daoud WA (2014), Effect of Mixed Acid Media on the Positive Side of the Hybrid Zinc-Cerium Redox Flow Battery, Electrochimica Acta, 141, 255-262.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA, Sun L, Wang XG (2014), Visible and UV Functionality of TiO2 Ternary Nanocomposites on Cotton, Applied Surface Science, 321, 447-456.
- Bian JC, Huang C, Wang LY, Daoud WA, Zhang RQ (2014), Carbon Dot Loading and TiO2 Nanorod Length Dependence of Photoelectrochemical Properties in Carbon Dot/TiO2 Nanorod Array Nanocomposites, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6, 4883-4890.
- Afzal S, Daoud WA, Langford S (2014), Exploring the Use of Dye-Sensitisation by Visible-Light as New Approach to Self-Cleaning Textiles, Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 7, 757-762.
- Wong A, Daoud WA, Liang H, Szeto YS (2014), Effect of Aging and Precursor Concentration on Room-temperature Synthesis of Nanocrystalline Anatase TiO2, Materials Letters, 117, 82-85.
- Afzal S, Daoud WA, Langford S (2013), Photostable Self-cleaning Cotton by a Copper (II) porphyrin-TiO2 Visible-Light Photocatalytic System, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 5, 4753-4759.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA (2013), Self-cleaning Cotton Functionalized with TiO2/SiO2: Focus on the Role of Silica, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 401, 1-7.
- Afzal S, Daoud WA, Langford S (2013), Visible-Light Self-cleaning Cotton by Metalloporphyrin-Sensitized Photocatalysis, Applied Surface Science, 275, 36-42.
- Pakdel E, Daoud WA, Wang XG (2013), Self-cleaning and Superhydrophilic Wool by TiO2/SiO2 Nanocomposite, Applied Surface Science, 275, 379-402.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA, Henrion G (2013), Anatase Functionalization and Photocatalytic Self-cleaning Properties of Keratins by Microwave-generated Plasma Afterglow, Thin Solid Films, 545, 310-319.
- Lazar MA, Daoud WA (2013), Achieving Selectivity in TiO2-based Photocatalysis, RSC Advances, 3, 4130-4140.
- Lopez L, Daoud WA, Dutta D, Panther BC, Turney TW (2013), Effect of Substrate on Surface Morphology and Photocatalysis of Large Scale TiO2 Films, Applied Surface Science, 265, 162-168.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2012), Nanostructured Photocatalysts with Enhanced Visible-light Activity by a Low-temperature Sol-Gel Process, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 19, 2330-2338.
- Afzal S, Daoud WA, Langford S (2012), Self-Cleaning Cotton by Porphyrin-sensitized Visible-Light Photocatalysis, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22, 4083-4088.
- Lazar MA, Daoud WA (2012), Selective Adsorption and Photocatalysis of Low-temperature Base-modified Anatase Nanocrystals, RSC Advances, 2, 447-452.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2012), Nanostructured Photocatalysts with Enhanced Visible-light Activity by a Low-temperature Sol-Gel Process, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, in press.
- Khajehpour J, Daoud WA, Williams T, Bourgeois L (2011), Laser-induced Reversible and Irreversible Changes in Silicon Nanostructures, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 115, 22131-22137.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2011), Self-cleaning Fibers via Nanotechnology: A Virtual Reality, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21,7858-7869.
- Bingham S, Daoud WA (2011), Recent Advances in Making Nano-Sized TiO2 Visible-Light Active through Rare-Earth Metal Doping, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21, 2041-2050.
- Daoud WA, Ngan M, Cheuk K (2010), Biodegradable Poly(L-lactic acid)-Lavender Nanocapsules: Synthesis, Controlled Release, and Application in Remedy of Sleep Disorder, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 10, 1255-1260.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2010), Self-cleaning Surface Functionalization of Keratins: Effect of Heat Treatment and Formulation Preparation Time on Photocatalysis and Mechanical Properties, Surface Engineering, 26, 525-531.
- Lopez L, Daoud WA, Dutta D (2010), Preparation of Large Scale Photocatalytic TiO2 Films by the Sol-gel Process, Surface & Coatings Technology, 205, 251-257.
- Cheng SY, Yuen CWM, Kan CW, Cheuk KKL, Daoud WA, Lam PL, Tsoi WY (2010), Influence of Atmospheric Pressure Plasma Treatment on Various Fibrous Materials: Performance Properties and Surface Adhesion Analysis, Vacuum, 84, 1466-1470.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2010), Self-Cleaning Wool: Effect of Formulation Concentration on Low-Stress Mechanical and Surface Properties, Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 14, 83-88.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2009), New Approach Toward Nanosized Ferrous Ferric Oxide and Iron-doped Titanium Dioxide Photocatalysts, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 1, 2453-2461.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA, Leung S (2009), Understanding Photocatalytic Behavior on Biomaterials: Insights from TiO2 Concentration, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 339, 424-433.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2009), Effect of Wettability and Silicone Surface Modification on the Self-cleaning Functionalization of Wool, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 112, 235-243.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2009), Photocatalytic Self-cleaning Keratins: a feasibility study, Acta Biomaterialia, 5, 50-56.
- Daoud WA (2008), Self-clean Only, Materials World, 16, 42-44.
- Tung WS, Daoud WA (2008), Photocatalytic Formulations for Protein Fibers: Experimental Analysis of the Effect of Preparation on Compatibility and Photocatalytic Activities, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 326, 283-288.
- Daoud WA, Leung S, Tung WS, Xin JH, Cheuk K, Qi K (2008), Self-cleaning Keratins, Chemistry of Materials, 20, 1242-1244.
- Qi K, Xin JH, Daoud WA, Mak CL (2007), Functionalizing Polyester Fibers with Self-cleaning Property using Anatase TiO2 and Low Temperature Plasma Treatment, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 4, 554-563.
- Zhang Y, Li Y, Li G, Huang H, Chan HL, Daoud WA, Xin JH, Li L (2007), Polyimide-surface-Modified Silica Tubes: Preparation and Cryogenic Properties, Chemistry of Materials, 19, 1939-1945.
- Qi K, Chen X, Liu Y, Xin JH, Mak CL, Daoud WA (2007), Facile Preparation of Anatase /SiO2 Spherical Nanocomposites and their Application in Self-cleaning Textiles, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 17, 3504-3508.
- Zhang Y, Xin JH, Daoud WA, Hao X (2007), UV-Blocking Properties of Silica/Titania Hybrid Nanocomposites, Key Engineering Materials, 334-335.
- Daoud WA, Pang GKH (2006), Direct Synthesis of Nanowires with Anatase and TiO2-B Structures at Near Ambient Conditions, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 110, 25746-25750.
- Qi K, Daoud WA, Xin JH, Mak CL, Tang W, Cheung WP (2006), Self-cleaning Cotton, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 16, 4567-4574.
- Daoud WA, Turner ML (2006), Effect of Interfacial Properties and Film Thickness on Device Performance of Bilayer TiO2-poly(1,4-phenylenevinylene) Solar Cells Prepared by Spin Coating, Reactive and Functional Polymers, 66, 13-20.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Tao XM (2006), Synthesis and Characterization of Hydrophobic Silica Nanocomposites, Applied Surface Science, 252, 5368-5371.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Zhang YH, Mak CL (2006), Pulsed Laser Deposition of Superhydrophobic Thin Teflon Films on Cellulose Fibers, Thin Solid Films, 515, 835-837.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH (2005), Synthesis of Single-Phase Anatase Nanocrystallites at Near Room Temperatures, Chemical Communications, 16, 2110-2112.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Szeto YS (2005), Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) Coatings for Humidity, Temperature and Strain Sensing Polyamide Fibers, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 109, 329-333.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Zhang YH (2005), Surface Functionalization of Cellulose Fibers with Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles and Their Combined Bactericidal Activities, Surface Science, 599, 69-75.
- Daoud WA, Turner ML (2005), Efficient Synthesis of 1,4-Dialkoxy and 1,4-Dialkyl Substituted 2,5-Divinylbenzenes via the Stille Reaction, Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, 78, 367-369.
- Zhang YH, Li Y, Fu SY, Xin JH, Daoud WA, Li LF (2005), Synthesis and Cryogenic Properties of Polyimide-Silica Hybrid Films by Sol-Gel Process, Polymer, 46, 8373-8378.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Zhang YH, Qi KH (2005), Surface Characterization of Thin Titania Films Prepared at Low-Temperatures, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 351, 1486-1490.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Pang GKH (2005), Microstructural Evolution of Titania Nanocrystallites by a Hydrothermal Treatment: A HRTEM Study, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 88, 443-446.
- Zhang YH, Dang ZM, Xin JH, Daoud WA, Liu Y, Fei B, Li Y, Wu J, Yang S, Yan Q, Li LF (2005), Dielectric Properties of Polyimide-Mica Hybrid Films, Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 26, 1473-1477.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Tao XM (2004), Superhydrophobic Silica Nanocomposite Coating by a Low Temperature Process, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 87, 1782-1784.
- Wang RR, Xin JH, Tao XM, Daoud WA (2004), ZnO Nanorods Grown on Cotton Fabrics at Low Temperature, Chemical Physics Letters, 398, 250-255.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH (2004), Regioregular Poly(3-alkylthiophenes): Synthesis, Characterization and Application in Conductive Fabrics, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 93, 2131-2135.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH (2004), Nucleation and Growth of Anatase Nanocrystallites on Cotton Fabrics at Low Temperatures, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 87, 953-955.
- Xin JH, Daoud WA, Kong YY (2004), A New Approach to UV-Blocking Treatment for Cotton Fabrics, Textile Research Journal, 72, 97-100.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH (2004), Low-temperature Processed Photocatalytic Titania Coating, Journal of Sol-Gel Science & Technology, 29, 25-29.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Qi K, Method for Making Single-Phase Anatase Titanium Oxide, US Patent US7255847, granted on 14 Aug 2007.
- Daoud WA, Leung S, Tung WS, Xin JH, Cheuk K, Qi K, Formulation Coated Self-cleaning Wool, US Patent Application Number 11/730405, filed on 2 April 2007.