Scholarships and Awards
The Hong Kong Maritime Law Scholarship Scheme (Funded by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region)
The Hong Kong Maritime Law Scholarship Scheme was initiated in 2010–11 and has been operated under the Maritime and Aviation Training Fund since 1 April 2014. Each year, a number of scholarships are offered to selected students of the Maritime and Transportation Law Stream of the LLM programme. These scholarships can be used to cover the full tuition fees at CityU.
For Programme leaflet, please click here .
The Hong Kong Maritime Law Scholarship Scheme (the “Scheme”) aims to help build up a pool of maritime law professionals and in turn serve the Hong Kong maritime sector. The Scheme offers scholarships to selected recipients starting from 2011–12 academic year. The following regulations shall apply as of 2019/20:
- Each scholarship to be awarded under the Scheme shall be known as “the Hong Kong Maritime Law Scholarship” (the“Scholarship”).
- Scholarship recipients are required to take 24 credits in order to graduate from the LLM programme. The Scholarship shall cover the full* tuition fees for the Maritime and Transportation Law stream of the Master of Laws (LLM) programme. Recipients who do not have a law degree are required to take two foundation courses in addition to the stipulated curriculum for recipients with a law degree and extra tuition fee for the two foundation courses (6 credits) will be charged. The scholarship does not cover the tuition fee for these extra credits.
- The Scholarships shall be offered to selected students of the Maritime and Transportation Law stream of the LLM programme.
- Selection of recipients will be based on a full assessment of relevant factors, including but not limited to academic achievements and past working experience of the applicants. The final decision on to whom a scholarship will be granted will rest with the selection panel comprising academic staff of the School of Law, CityU, and representatives of the Government.
- The Scholarship will be granted on the condition that the recipient undertakes to engage in full-time employment in the maritime-related field in Hong Kong for a period of not less than 12 consecutive calendar months, within three calendar months after confirmation of eligibility of graduation. Failure to complete the Maritime and Transportation Law stream of the LLM programme for whatever reasons and/or to demonstrate due diligence in seeking work in the maritime industry may render the recipient concerned liable to repay in full or part of the Scholarship received. The undertaking will be signed between the recipient and the Government.
*For 2019/20, the charge for each credit unit will be HK$5,390.
Applicants who wish to apply for Hong Kong Maritime Law Scholarship should submit an application letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday, 30 June 2019. The application letter should include the following information:
- your online application number for the LLM in Maritime and Transportation Law. You may go to https://www.cityu.edu.hk/pg/taught-postgraduate-programmes/apply-now to apply;
- your academic achievements;
- your internship experience (if any);
- your past and present working experience (if any);
- other information you consider relevant; and
- your CV (it should be separately attached to your application letter).
Applicants may be invited to attend interviews conducted by our School and the Government. Information of the applicants shortlisted by School of Law will be submitted to the Government for their consideration and final decision.
Remarks: The scholarship scheme would continue to operate, subject to the injection of additional funding being endorsed by the LegCo in the first quarter of 2019.