Professor CHONG Ming Lin Alice, PhD., RSW, MH. (莊明蓮教授)
Bachelor of Social Science (Chinese University of Hong Kong)M. Sc. (Econ.) in Applied Social Studies (University of Wales)Diploma in Executive Management (CUHK & HKCSS)PhD (University of Hong Kong)
Certificate in Journalism (Extra-mural Dept, HKU)Professional Manager (Canadian Institute of Management)Registered Social Worker
Professor, Associatea Head & Social Work Discipline Leader
Professor CHONG Ming-Lin Alice is the Professor and Associatea Head at the Department of Applied Social Sciences, City University of Hong Kong, teaching courses in social work and counselling. She has been the Associate Dean (Student Life and Learning) of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences from 2005 to 2010. She has had very rich working experiences in social work and welfare management. Her research areas include social gerontology, end of life issues, teaching and learning, as well as human service management. She has published more than 80 academic articles and presented more than 60 papers in international and regional conferences.
Professor Chong has actively participated in community and public services. She is currently the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson of three non-government organizations, and an honorary consultant to a few others. She has been invited by the Hong Kong SAR Government to the Elderly Commission, and has also served in the Community Investment & Inclusion Fund Committee and in the Advisory Committee on ‘Opportunity for the Elderly Project’.
She has been rewarded with many awards and honours for her long and distinguished community and public services, such as the 60th Anniversary Distinguished Alumni Award by the Department of Social Work and Social Administration of the University of Hong Kong in 2010; CUHK Social Work Distinguished Alumni Award by the Department of Social Work of the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2013; as well as the Medal of Honor by the Hong Kong SAR Government in 2013 for her contribution to the promotion of social capital and the wellbeing of the elderly.
Professor Chong is an excellent teacher and has been awarded the 2012-2013 Teaching Excellence Award by the City University of Hong Kong and the very prestigious 2013 UGC Teaching Award by University Grant Committee.
Award and Achievement
- Sep 2014 “Video on Teaching Excellence of Professor Alice Chong ” University Grant Committee. [Video ]
- Sep 2013 “2013 UGC Teaching Award ” University Grant Committee.. [Press release by University Grant Committee]
- Jul 2013 “Medal of Honour” Hong Kong SAR Government. In recognition of her contribution to the promotion of social capital and the wellbeing of the elderly. . [URL]
- Nov 2013 “CUHK Social Work Distinguished Alumni Award” Department of Social Work, Chinese University of Hong Kong.. [URL]
- Mar 2013 “2012-2013 Teaching Excellence Award” City University of Hong Kong. [URL]
- Nov 2013 “Outstanding Paper Presentation Award,Twentieth Annul Congress of Gerontology” Hong Kong Association of Gerontology. Title of the Outstanding Paper: Life Mentor Scheme for Generation Me: A Student-centered Experiential Learning Activity for Student Excellence in an Ageing Society. .
- Jan 2010 “60th Anniversary Distinguished Alumni Award” the Department of Social Work and Social Administration, University of Hong Kong.
- Does work relationship matter? Enhancing the effect of work relationship between frail older people and live-in foreign domestic helpers on subjective well-being of older people, GRF, HKSAR, Jan 2015 - Jun 2017, Alice Chong (PI) .
- Enhancing Quality of Life of Elders in Private Domestic Housing in Hong Kong through a Facility Management Mode, GRF, HKSAR, Jan 2014 - Jun 2016, Alice Chong (Co-I).
- Life Mentor Scheme for Generation Me – a Cross-University Collaboration for Student Excellence in An Ageing Society , UGC Teaching Award Project, University Grant Committee, Jan 2014 - Dec 2015, Alice Chong (PI) .
- Survey on Intergenerational Relationship, Matching Grant Scheme, UGC, Jul 2013 - Jun 2016, Alice CHONG (PI).
- Enhancing Quality of Life of Elders in Public and Subsidized Housing in Hong Kong through a Facility Management Model., GRF, HKSAR, Jan 2013 - Jun 2015, Alice Chong (Co-I) .
- The Impact of Live-in Foreign Domestic Helpers on the Wellbeing of the Frail Elderly People and their Primary Family Caregivers, College Research Committee, CityU, Nov 2012 - Oct 2013, Alice Chong (PI) .
- Depression and Autobiographical Memory: A comparison between Hong Kong and the Netherlands, College Research Grant, 2010 - 2011, Alice Chong (PI).
- Ageing Policy – A Comparison between Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taipei, 2008 - 2009, Alice CHONG (PI).
- End of Life Issue Project for Hong Kong and China, International Collaboration for the Care of the Elderly, 2007 - 2009, Alice CHONG (Co-PI).
- Insomnia of the Middle-aged and Older People - A Comparative Study of Shanghai and Hong Kong, College Research Committee, CityU, 2007 - 2008, Alice Chong (PI) .
- Positive Ageing, Central Fund & Dean’s Fund, CityU, 2002 - 2005, Alice Chong (Co-I).
- Public and Physicians’ Attitude Towards Euthanasia in Hong Kong, Health Services Research Committee, HKSAR Government, 1997 - 2001, Alice Chong (PI) .
- Lou, V.W.Q. , Kwan, C.W. , Chong, A.M.L. & Chi, I. (2014). Association between secondary caregivers’ supportive behavior and psychological distress of primary spousal caregivers of cognitive intact and impaired elders. The Gerontologist. doi:10.1093/geront/gnt156
- Chong, A.M.L. , Kwan, C.W. , Chi, I. , Lou, V.W.Q. & Leung, A.Y.M. (2014). Domestic Helpers as Moderators of Spousal Caregiver Distress. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbu034
- Ouyang,, Z. , Chong, A.M.L. , Ng, TK. & Liu, S. (2014). Leisure, Functional Disability and Depression among Older Chinese Living in Residential Care Homes. Aging and Mental Health. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbu034
- Chong, A.M.L. & Fok, S. Y. (2013). Validation of the Chinese Expanded Euthanasia Attitude Scale. Death Studies. 37(1). 89 - 98.
- Chong, A.M.L. , Cheung, C. K. J. , Woo, J. & Kwan, A. (2012). Availability, use, and cultivation of support networks as predictors of the well-being of middle-aged and older Chinese: A panel study. Scientific World JOURNAL. 978036. doi:10.1100/2012/978036
- Chong, A.M.L. & Cheung, C.K.J. (2012). Factor structure of a Cantonese-version Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Sleep and Biological Rhythms. 10(2). 118 - 125. doi:10.1111/j.1479-8425.2011.00532.x
- Ng, S.H. , Cheung, C.K.J. , Chong, A.M.L. , Woo, J. , Kwan, Y.H.A. & Lai, F. Y. S. (2011). Aging well socially through engagement with life: Adapting Rowe and Kahn’s Model of Successful Aging to Chinese cultural context. International Journal of Aging & Human Development. 73(4). 313 - 330. doi:10.2190/AG.73.4.c
- Lai, Julian C.L. , Chong, Alice M.L. , Siu, Oswald T. , Evans, , Phil, , Chan, , Cecilia, L.W. & Ho, Rainbow T.H. (May 2010). Humor Attenuates the Cortisol Awakening Response. Biological Psychology. 84:2. 375 - 380. doi:10.1016/j.biopsycho.2010.03.012
- Chong, Alice Ming-lin. (2010). Promoting volunteerism in later life in Hong Kong. China Journal of Social Work. 3: 2. 313 - 322. doi:10.1080/17525098.2010.492657
- Chong, Alice Ming-Lin. & Fok, Shiu-Yeu. (2009). Attitudes toward euthanasia in Hong Kong – Implications for social work practice. Social Work in Health Care. 48:2. 119 - 133.
- Wong, Priscilla Y. K. & Chong, Alice M. L. (2007). Indigenising Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Counselling Chinese Older People Suffering Multiple Diseases. Asian Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2. 99 - 106.
- Chong, A. (2007). Promoting the Psychosocial Health of the Elderly - The Role of Social Workers. Social Work in Health Care. 44(1/2). 91 - 109.
- Chong, A. , Ng, S.H. , Woo, J. & Kwan, A. (2006). Positive ageing: the views of middle-aged and older adults in Hong Kong. Ageing & Society. 26. 243 - 265.
- Chong, A. & Fok, S.Y. (2005). Attitudes toward euthanasia in Hong Kong - a comparison between physicians and the general public. Death Studies. 29(1). 29 - 54.
- Lai, J. , Evans, P.D. , Ng, S.H. , Chong, A. , Siu, O. , Chan, C. , Ho, S. , Ho, R. , Chan, P. & Chan, C. (2005). Optimism, positive affectivity, and salivary cortisol. British Journal of Health Psychology. 10. 467 - 484.
- Tse, C.Y. , Chong, A.M.L. & Fok, S.Y. (2003). Breaking bad news: A Chinese perspective. Palliative Medicine. 339 - 343. doi:10.1191/0269216303pm751oa
- Chong, Ming Lin. , Chan, Hung Tao. & Leung, Wai Hong. (1997). Service Quality Standards & Service Monitoring. Hong Kong: Publishers Co-op.
- Chong, M.L. (2008). Residential Care Quality Indicators. W.Q. Lou and K.W. Boey. (Eds.) Handbook of Measures for the Chinese Elderly (in Chinese). (pp. 186 - 191). Hong Kong. Sau Po Centre on Ageing, University of Hong Kong.
- Apr 2014 - Now, Appointed Member, Public Libraries Advisory Committee .Hong Kong.
- Jul 2009 - Jun 2015, Appointed Member, Elderly Commission.Hong Kong.
- May 2007 - Apr 2013, Appointed Member, Community Investment & Inclusion Fund Committee.Hong Kong.
- May 2003 - Apr 2009, Appointed Member, The ‘Opportunity for the Elderly Project’ Advisory Committee.Hong Kong.
- Apr 2015 - Mar 2017, President, Hong Kong Association of Schools of Social Work.Hong Kong.
- Sep 2004 - Now, Honorary Research Fellow, Centre on Behavioural Health, University of Hong Kong..Hong Kong.
- Oct 2003 - Now, Honorary Research Fellow, Sau Po Centre on Ageing, University of Hong Kong..Hong Kong.
- Dec 2001 - Now, Co-opted Member, Hong Kong Association of Gerontology.Hong Kong.
- Nov 2003 - Now, Vice-Chairman, Unison-Hong Kong.Hong Kong.
- Feb 2002 - Now, Chair-person, Hans Anderson Club.Hong Kong.
- Sep 1992 - Now, Elderly Service Committee , Methodist Centre.Hong Kong.
Service in CityU
- Sep 2015 - Aug 2017, Board of Undergraduate Studies, Member.
- Jul 2015 - Jun 2017, College Board, Member.
- Jul 2012 - Now, CityU Elderly Academy, Advisor.
- Jun 2008 - Jun 2015, Project X on Learning Excellence, Coordinator.
Research / Thesis Supervision
- Sep 2014 - Now, CHUI Heung Lan Orchid, PhD .
- Sep 2013 - Now, Lo, Yolanda, PhD .
- Sep 2010 - Now, Ouyang, Zheng , PhD .
- Sep 2010 - Aug 2014, Liu, Susu. , PhD .
- Sep 2009 - Jun 2014, Wen, Zhuoyi, PhD .
Last update date :
26 Jan 2016