Kin-Kit (Ben) Li joined the Department of Applied Social Studies at City University of Hong Kong since 2009. He received his Ph.D. in sport and exercise psychology from Oregon State University in 2008. His research interests include sport and exercise psychology, physical activity promotion, social gerontology, health communication, time perspective, and life-course theories.
Award and Achievement
- 2012 “Fellow” Research Consortium, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
- Uncovering the Mechanisms of Message Framing for Promoting Physical Activity: An Aging Perspective, General Research Fund, Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $550,000, 2014 - 2017, K.-K. Li (PI).
- Integrating Positive Psychology and Elements of Music Therapy in Treating Adolescents with Suicidal Ideation, General Research Fund, Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $403,800, 2013 - 2015, S. Kwok (PI), M. F. Law, K.-K. Li, & E. Mak (Co-Is).
- Negotiating Health Goals over the Lifespan: The Role of Future Time Perspective and Self-construal, Early Career Scheme, Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $391,200, 2012 - 2014, K.-K. Li (PI), S.-T. Cheng & F. Lang (Collaborators).
- Risk Perceptions and Message Framing in Physical Activity Promotion: An Aging Perspective, General Research Fund, Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $568,453, 2011 - 2013, K.-K. Li (PI), H. H. Fung & S.-T. Cheng (Co-Is).
- Kavikondala, S. , Stewart, S. M. , Ni, M. Y. , Chan, B. H. Y. , Lee, P. H. , Li, K.-K. , McDowell, I. , Johnston, J. M. , Chan, S. S. , Lam, T. H. , Lam, W. W. W. , Fielding, R. & Leung, G. M. (2016). Structure and Validity of Family Harmony Scale: An instrument for measuring harmony. Psychological Assessment. 28(3). 307 - 318. doi:10.1037/pas0000131
- Li, K.-K. & Chow, W.-Y. (2015). Religiosity/spirituality and prosocial behavior among Chinese Christian adolescents: The mediating roles of values and gratitude. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality. 122(3). 905 - 923. doi:10.1037/a0038294
- Kwok, S. Y. C. L. & Li, B. K. K. (2014). A mediation model of father involvement with preschool children in Hong Kong. Social Indicators Research. Advance online publication doi:10.1007/s11205-014-0708-5
- Li, K.-K. , Cheng, S.-T. & Fung, H. H. (2014). Effects of Message Framing on Self-report and Accelerometer-assessed Physical Activity across Age and Gender Groups. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology. 36(1). 40 - 51. doi:10.1123/jsep.2012-0278
- Li, K.-K. , Cardinal, B. J. & Acock, A. C. (2013). Concordance of physical activity trajectories among middle-aged and older married couples: Impact of diseases and functional difficulties. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. 68(5). 794 - 806. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbt068
- Li, K.-K. (2013). Domain dimensionality and temporality of outcome expectancy for physical activity among middle-aged and older Chinese adults: A latent profile analysis. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 14(5). 682 - 691. doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2013.05.007.
- Woekel, E. , Ebbeck, V. , Concepcion, R. Y. , Readdy, R. T. , Li, K.-K. , Lee, Hyo. & Cardinal, J. B. (2013). Physical activity, nutrition, and self-perception changes related to a university “Lifetime Fitness for Health” curriculum. The Physical Educator. 70(4). 374 - 394.
- Ye, S. , Yu, L. & Li, K.-K. (2012). A cross-lagged model of self-esteem and life satisfaction: Gender differences among Chinese university students. Personality and Individual Differences. 52(4). 546 - 551. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2011.11.018
- Li, K.-K. , Concepcion, R. Y. , Lee, H. , Cardinal, B. J. , Ebbeck, V. , Woekel, E. & Readdy, R. T. (2012). An examination of sex differences in relation to the eating habits and nutrient intakes of university students. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 44(3). 246 - 250. doi:10.1016/j.jneb.2010.10.002
- Washburn, I. J. , Acock, A. C. , Vuchinich, S. , Snyder, F. , Li, K.-K. , Ji, P. , Day, J. , DuBois, D. & Flay, B. R. (2011). Effects of a social-emotional and character development program on the trajectory of behaviors associated with social-emotional and character development: Findings from three randomized trials. Prevention Science. 12(3). 314 - 323. doi:10.1007/s11121-011-0230-9
- Li, K.-K. , Washburn, I. , DuBois, D. L. , Vuchinich, S. , Ji, P. , Brechling, V. , Day, J. , Beets, M. W. , Acock, A. C. , Berbaum, M. , Snyder, F. & Flay, B. R. (2011). Effects of the Positive Action programme on problem behaviours in elementary school students: A matched-pair randomised control trial in Chicago. Psychology & Health. 26(2). 187 - 204. doi:10.1080/08870446.2011.531574
- Cheng, S.-T. , Li, K.-K. , Chan, A. C. M. & Leung, E. M. F. (2011). Social exchanges and subjective well-being: Do sources of positive and negative exchanges matter?. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. 66(6). 708 - 718. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbr061
- Cheng, S.-T. & Li, K.-K. (2010). Combining major life events and recurrent hassles in the assessment of stress in Chinese adolescents: Preliminary evidence. Psychological Assessment. 22(3). 532 - 538. doi:10.1037/a0019579
- Snyder, F. J. , Flay, B. R. , Vuchinich, S. , Acock, A. C. , Beets, M. W. , Washburn, I. J. & Li, K.-K. (2010). Impact of a social-emotional and character development program on school-level indicators of academic achievement, absenteeism, and disciplinary outcomes: A matched-pair, cluster randomized, controlled trial. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness. 3(1). 26 - 55. doi:10.1080/19345740903353436
- Gibbons, S. L. , Ebbeck, V. , Concepcion, R. Y. & Li, K.-K. (2010). The impact of an experiential education program on the self-perceptions and perceived social regard of physical education students. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology. 32(6). 786 - 804.
- Bickman, L. , Riemer, M. , Brown, J. L. , Jones, S. M. , Flay, B. R. , Li, K.-K. , Dubois, D. , Pelham, W. Jr. & Massetti, G. (2009). Approaches to measuring implementation fidelity in school-based program evaluations. Journal of Research in Character Education. 7(2). 75 - 101.
- Cardinal, B. J. , Lee, J.-Y. , Kim, Y.-H. , Lee, H. , Li, K.-K. & Si, Q. (2009). Behavioral, demographic, psychosocial, and sociocultural concomitants of stage of change for physical activity behavior in a mixed culture sample. American Journal of Health Promotion. 23(4). 274 - 278. doi:10.4278/ajhp.06051667
- Fung, H. H. , Yeung, D. Y. , Li, K.-K. & Lang, F. R. (2009). Benefits of negative social exchanges for emotional closeness. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Science. 64B(5). 612 - 621. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbp065
- Li, K.-K. , Cardinal, B. J. & Vuchinich, S. (2009). Health worry, physical activity participation, and walking difficulty among older adults: A mediation analysis. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 80(1). 12 - 21. doi:10.1080/02701367.2009.10599525
- Li, K.-K. , Cardinal, B. J. & Settersten, R. A. Jr. (2009). Life-course perspective: Applications and implications for physical activity promotion. Quest. 61(3). 336 - 352. doi:10.1080/00336297.2009.10483620
- Beets, M. W. , Flay, B. R. , Vuchinich, S. , Li, K.-K. , Acock, A. C. , Snyder, F. J. & The Tobacco Etiology Research Network (TERN)(2009). Longitudinal patterns of binge drinking among first year college students. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 103(1-2). 1 - 8. doi:10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2008.12.017
- Levy, S. S. , Li, K.-K. , Cardinal, B. J. & Maddalozzo, G. F. (2009). Transitional shifts in exercise behavior among women with multiple sclerosis. Disability and Health Journal. 2(4). 216 - 223. doi:10.1016/j.dhjo.2009.04.001
- Beets, M. W. , Flay, B. R. , Vuchinich, S. , Snyder, F. J. , Acock, A. C. , Li, K.-K. , Burns, K. , Washburn, I. J. & Durlak, J. (2009). Use of a social and character development program to prevent substance use, violent behaviors, and sexual activity among elementary students in Hawaii. American Journal of Public Health. 99(8). 1438 - 1445. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2008.142919
- Li, K.-K. & Chan, D. K.-S. (2008). Goal conflict and the moderating effects of intention stability in intention-behavior relations: Physical activity among Hong Kong Chinese. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology. 30(1). 39 - 55.
- Beets, M. W. , Flay, B. R. , Vuchinich, S. , Acock, A. C. , Li, K.-K. & Allred, C. (2008). School climate and teachers’ beliefs and attitudes associated with implementation of the Positive Action program: A diffusion of innovations model. Prevention Science. 9(4). 264 - 275. doi:10.1007/s11121-008-0100-2
- Chang, L. , Lei, L. , Li, K.-K. , Lui, H. , Guo, B. , Wang, Y. & Fung, K. Y. (2005). Peer acceptance and self-perceptions of verbal and behavioural aggression and social withdrawal. International Journal of Behavioral Development. 29(1). 48 - 57. doi:10.1080/01650250444000324
- Li, K.-K. , Cheng, S.-T. , Fung, H. H. & Li, C. K. (2013). Moderators of the message-framing effects on physical activity. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 84 (Suppl. 1), A73.
- Li, K.-K. (2013). Physical activity risk perception scale for diabetic: Development and preliminary validation. Psychology & Health. 28 (Sup1), 252.
- Li, K.-K. & Ng, L. (2013). Reverse message framing effect on accelerometer-assessed physical activity among Chinese older diabetic patients. Psychology & Health. 28 (Sup1), 119.
- 2012 - Now, Editorial Board Member, Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology.
- 2011 - Now, Reviewer, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- 2010 - Now, Reviewer, The Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences.
Service in CityU
- 2013 - Now, Associate Major/Programme Leader, B.S.Sc. in Psychology.
- 2013 - Now, Student Exchange Coordinator, Department of Applied Social Studies.
- 2011 - Now, Alumni & Mentoring Schemes Coordinator, B.S.Sc in Psychology.
Last update date :
18 Sep 2016