My main research interest lies in the field of developmental psychology, with an emphasis on language and literacy acquisition and psychological well-being in students. I have examined their development through various levels, taking special account of factors including genetic contribution (with twin designs), parenting (with family studies), and underlying mechanisms (with correlational research studying the concurrent and longitudinal links).
Award and Achievement
- 2015 “New Reseacher Award” College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, City University of Hong Kong.
- 2011 “The United Kingdom Literacy Association/ Wiley-Blackwell Research in Literacy Education Award” The United Kingdom Literacy Association.
- Catering the needs of diverse learners using interactive dialogue and creative literacy activities in English language education, Hong Kong Quality Education Fund, Amount: $1,419,700, 2015 - 2017, Chow, B. W.-Y. (PI).
- Creativity, syntactic development and dialogic reading techniques for young children in Hong Kong: A bilingual and longitudinal approach, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: $315,600, 2015 - 2016, Chow, B. W.-Y. (Co-I).
- Written word learning in Chinese children: Its underlying mechanisms and the influences of reading experience and ability, Early Career Scheme, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: $465,285, 2015 - 2017, Chow, B. W.-Y. (PI).
- Create a stimulating learning environment for students with intellectual disability, Knowledge Transfer Project, UGC Knowledge Transfer Earmarked Fund, Amount: $200,000, 2014 - 2015, Chow, B. W.-Y. (PI).
- Reading development in Chinese and in English: Genetic and neuroscience correlates, Collaborative Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: $7,511,385, 2014 - 2018, Chow, B. W.-Y. (Co-I).
- Reading motivation and anxiety in first and second language acquisition: Analyses of mediation and moderation, Research Grant Writing Fund, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Amount: $285,700, 2014 - 2015, Chow, B. W.-Y. (PI).
- A Preliminary Study of the perception and production of connected speech in English by Chinese-speaking university students in Hong Kong, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie(Co-I).
- A preliminary study of the underlying cognitive processes of written word learning in, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie(PI).
- Discovery learning and its relationships with creative potentials, creative self-efficacy, and intrinsic motivation of undergraduate students, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie (Co-I).
- Integrating discovery learning and research: Devising an effective tool to promote students’ reading comprehension, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie(PI).
- Learning English with dialogic reading and creative books in primary school classroom, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie(PI).
- The effects of discovery-enriched curriculum on students’ learning motivation and strategy use, Dr. CHOW, Wing Yin Bonnie(PI).
- Chiu, M. M. & Chow, B. W.-Y. (2015). Classmate characteristics and student achievement in 33 countries: Classmates’ past achievement, family SES, educational resources and attitudes toward reading. Journal of Educational Psychology. 107(1). 152 - 169.
- Kwok, S. Y. C. L. , Cheng, L. , Chow, B. W.-Y. & Ling, C. C.Y. (2015). The spillover effect of parenting on marital satisfaction among Chinese mothers. Journal of Child and Family Studies. 24. 772 - 783.
- Wong, S. W.-L. , Chow, B. W.-Y. , Ho, C. S.-H. , Waye, M. & Bishop, D. V. M. (2014). Genetic and environmental overlap between Chinese and English reading-related skills in Chinese children. Developmental Psychology. 50. 2539 - 2548.
- Chow, B.W.-Y. (2014). The differential roles of paired associate learning in Chinese and English word reading abilities in bilingual children. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal. 27. 1657 - 1672.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , Ho, C.S.H. , Wong, S.W.L. , Waye, M. & Bishop, D.V.M. (2013). Generalist Genes and Cognitive Abilities in Chinese Twins. Developmental Science. 16. 260 - 268.
- Chiu, M.M. , Pong, S.L. , Mori, I. & Chow, B.W.Y. (2012). Immigrant students’ cognitive and emotional engagement at school: A multilevel analysis of students in 41 countries. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. 41. 1409 - 1425.
- Ho, C.S.H. , Chow, B.W.Y. , Wong, S.W.L. , Waye, M. & Bishop, D.V.M. (2012). The genetic and environmental foundation of the Simple View of Reading in Chinese. PLoS ONE. 7(10):e47872. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047872
- Chiu, M.M. & Chow, B.W.Y. (2011). Classroom discipline: School, teacher, economic, and cultural differences across 41 countries. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 42. 516 - 533.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , Chiu, M.M. & Wong, S.W.L. (2011). Emotional intelligence, social problem solving skills, and psychological distress: A study of Chinese undergraduate students. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 41. 1958 - 1980.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , Ho, C.S.H. , Wong, S.W.L. , Waye, M. & Bishop, D.V.M. (2011). Genetic and environmental influences on Chinese language and reading abilities. PLoS ONE. 6(2) e166440. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0016640
- Chiu, M.M. & Chow, B.W.Y. (2010). Culture, motivation, and reading achievement: High school students in 41 countries. Learning and Individual Differences. 20. 579 - 592.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , McBride-Chang, C. & Cheung, H. (2010). Parent-child reading in English as a second language: Effects on language and literacy development of Chinese kindergartners. Journal of Research in Reading. 33. 284 - 301.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , McBride-Chang, C. , Cheung, H. & Chow, C.S.L. (2008). Dialogic reading and morphology training in Chinese children: Effects on language and literacy. Developmental Psychology. 44. 233 - 244.
- Chiu, M.M. , Chow, B.W.Y. & McBride-Chang, C. (2007). and specifics in learning strategies: Explaining adolescent mathematics, science, and reading achievement across 34 countries. Learning and Individual Differences. 17. 344 - 365.
- McBride-Chang, C. , Cheung, H. , Chow, B.W.Y. , Chow, C.S.L. & Choi, L. (2006). Metalinguistic skills and vocabulary Knowledge in Chinese (L1) and English (L2). Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal. 19. 695 - 716.
- Lee, M.T.Y. , Wong, B.P. , Chow, B.W.Y. & McBride-Chang, C. (2006). Predictors of suicide ideation and depression in Hong Kong adolescents: Perceptions of academic and family climates. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. 36. 82 - 96.
- McBride-Chang, C. , Chow, B.W.Y. , Zhong, Y. , Burgess, S. & Hayward, W. (2005). Chinese character acquisition and visual skills in two Chinese scripts. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary. Journal 18. 99 - 128.
- Chow, B.W.Y. , McBride-Chang, C. & Burgess, S. (2005). Phonological processing skills and early reading abilities in Hong Kong Chinese kindergartners learning to read English as a second language. Journal of Educational Psychology. 97. 81 - 87.
- Chow, B.W.Y. & Chow, C.S.L. (2005). The development of morphological awareness: Analysis of children’s responses on the Chinese morphological construction task. Journal of Psychology in Chinese Societies. 6. 145 - 160.
- Fung, P.C. , Chow, B.W.Y. & McBride-Chang, C. (2005). The impact of a dialogic reading program on deaf and hard-of-hearing kindergarten and early primary school-aged students in Hong Kong. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education. 10. 82 - 95.
- McBride-Chang, C. , Wagner, R.K. , Muse, A. , Chow, B.W.Y. & Shu, H. (2005). The role of morphological awareness in children’s vocabulary acquisition in English. Applied Psycholinguistics. 26. 415 - 436.
- Cheung, H. , McBride-Chang, C. & Chow, B.W.Y. (2006). Reading Chinese. In R. M. Joshi & P. G. Aaron (Eds.), Handbook of orthography and literacy. (pp. 421 - 438). New Jersey. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2015 - Now, Associate Editor, Journal of Research in Reading.
- 2015 - Now, Consulting Editor, Child Development.
Last update date :
28 Jul 2015