Chris Chan has joined the department to teach sociology since 2009. He has been the programme leader of MSSAS since 2012. His research focuses on labour, civil society and social development, especially in Mainland China. His recent research has been funded by City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Research Grant Council, the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation in Taiwan, Social and Economic Research Council in the UK, International Labor Organization of United Nations and other organizations. As an executive committee member of several labour NGOs, he works closely with trade unions, NGOs and activists’ groups to promote labour rights and social equality in Hong Kong, China and beyond.
Chris convenes the Labour Studies Network in the deparment.
- Comparing labour activism and workplace relations in China and Vietnam: the role of market, state and civil society. , GRF, Hong Kong Research Grant Council , Amount: HKD $342,300, 2016 - 2018, PI: Dr. Chris Chan; Co-I: Prof. Anita Chan.
- Mobilization and Counter-mobilization of Youth in Occupy Movement in Hong Kong, Department Special Grant, Department of Applied Social Sciences, CityU , Amount: HKD $376,200, 2015 - 2017, PI: Dr. Chris Chan; Co-Is; Dr. Ho Wing Chung, Dr. Raymond Chan, Dr. Jacky Cheung, Dr. Eileen Tsang, Dr. Zhang Zhuoni.
- Exploring the Impact of Workers' Activism on Workplace Labour Relations: case studies in Shenzhen and Suzhou, GRF, Hong Kong Research Grant Council, Amount: HKD $387,040, 2014 - 2016, PI: Dr. Chris Chan.
- Migrant Workers’ Pension Protection in China, RGWF, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, CityU , Amount: HKD $299,640, 2014 - 2015, PI: Dr. Chris Chan; Co-Is: Dr. Raymond Ngai, Dr. Vincent Chen (Co-I).
- Rising Powers, Labour Standards and the Governance of Global Production Networks, Economic and Social Research Council, ESRC, UK, Amount: GBP $695,000, 2013 - 2016, PI: Dr. Khalid Nadvi; Co-Is: Dr. Chris Chan, Prof. Rudolf R. Sinkovics, Prof. Peter Knorringa, Dr. Mansueto Almeida, and Prof. Keshab Das .
- Changing Labour Regime in China? A Study of Workplace Relations in Suzhou, Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exch, CCKF, Taiwan, Amount: USD $36,000, 2012 - 2014, PI: Dr. Chris Chan; Collaborator: Dr. Bill Taylor .
- Xu, Y. & Chan, C.K.C. (in press). Conductive activism: Anti-sweatshop campaigns across Hong Kong and mainland China. Journal of Contemporary Asia. .
- Chan, C.K.C. & Hui, E.S.I. (2016). Bringing class struggles back: A Marxian analysis of the state and class relations in China. Globalizations. 1 - 13. doi:DOI: 10.1080/14747731.2016.1207935
- Lu, J. & Chan, C.K.C. (2016). Collective Identity, Framing, and Mobilization of Environmental Protest in Urban China: A Case Study of Qidong’s Protest. China: an international journal. 14(2). 102 - 122.
- Hui, E. S. I. & Chan, C.K.C. (2016). The Influence of Overseas Business Associations on Law-making in China —A Case Study of the Shenzhen Collective Consultation Ordinance and the Guangdong Regulations on Democratic Management of Enterprises. China Quarterly. 225 (Mar 2016). 145 - 168.
- Hui, E.S.I. & Chan, C.K.C. (2015). 'Beyond the Union-Centred Approach: A Critical Evaluation of Recent Trade Union Elections in China’. British Journal of Industrial Relations. 53(3). 201 - 627.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Nadvi, K. (2014). 'Changing labour regulations and labour standards in China: Retrospect and challenges' (introduction to the special issue: Labour Regulations and Labour Standards in China'.). International Labour Review. 153(4):513-534.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2014). 'Constrained Labour Agency and the Changing Regulatory Regime in China,'. Development and Change. 45(4). 685 - 709.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Hui, E.S.I. (2014). The Development of Collective Bargaining in China: From ‘Collective Bargaining by Riot’ to ‘Party State-led Wage Bargaining. The China Quarterly. 217. 221 - 242.
- Hui, E.S.I. & Chan, C.K.C. (2014). 'The politics of labour legislation in southern China: How foreign chambers of commerce and government agencies influence collective bargaining laws'. International Labour Review. 153(4):587-607. .
- Chan, C.K.C. & Zhai, Y.J. (2013). Active labour market policies in China – towards improved labour protection?. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 6(1). 10 - 25.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2013). Community-based organizations for migrant workers’ rights: the emergence of labour NGOs in China. Community Development Journal. 48(1). 6 - 22.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2013). Contesting Class Organization: Migrant Workers’ Strikes in China’s Pearl River Delta, 1978–2010. International Labor and Working Class History. 83 (Spring). 112 - 136.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Ho, W.C. (2013). Introduction to Special Series: The Challenges of Social Development in China. Journal of Comparative Asian Development. 12(1). 1 - 5.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2013). Promoting freedom of association in China? Putting CSR into a national context. Journal of Comparative Asian Development. 12(1). 6 - 34.
- Chan, R.K.H. & Chan, C.K.C. (2013). The shifting boundary between workand welfare – a review of active labour market policies in Hong Kong. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 6(1). 26 - 41.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2012). Class or citizenship? Debating workplace conflict in China. Journal of Contemporary Asia. 42(2). 308 - 327.
- Hui, E.S.I. & Chan, C.K.C. (2012). The “Harmonious Society” as a Hegemonic Project: Labour Conflicts and Changing Labour Policies in China. Labour, Capital and Society. 44(2). 154 - 183.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Hui, E.S.I. (2012). The Dynamics and Dilemma of Workplace Trade Union Reform in China: the case of Honda workers’ strike. Journal of Industrial relations. 54(4). 653 - 668.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Lam, M.C. (2012). The Reality and Challenges of Green Jobs in China: An exploring research. International Journal of Labour Research. 4(2). 189 - 208.
- 陳敬慈, (2012). 勞工、資本與國家:馬克思主義視角下的中國勞資衝突. 《臺灣社會學刊》. 第50 期. 165 - 204.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2010). Class struggle in China: case Studies of migrant worker strikes in the Pearl River Delta. South African Review of Sociology. 41(3). 61 - 80.
- Chan, C.K.C. , Ngai, P. & Chan, J. (2010). The Role of the State, Labour Policy and Workers’ Struggles in Globalized China. Global Labour Journal. 1(1). 132 - 151.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2009). Strike and workplace relations in a Chinese global factory. Industrial Relations Journal. 40 (1). 60 - 77.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Pun, N. (2009). The making of a new working class? a study of collective actions of migrant workers in South China. The China Quarterly. 197. 287 - 303.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2008). Neue Muster von ArbeiterInnenprotest in Sudchina?. Peripherie. 111. 301 - 327[inGerman].
- Pun, N. & Chan, C.K.C. (2008). The Subsumption of Class Discourse in China. Boundary 2. 35(2). 75 - 91.
- 潘毅, & 陈敬慈, (2008). 阶级话语的消逝. 《开放时代》. 第197期. 53 - 60.
- 潘文翰, , 陳署峰, , 黃靜文, , 陳敬慈, & 蒙兆達(2012). 《團結不折彎----香港獨立工運尋索50年》. 香港: 進一步出版社.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2010). The Challenge of Labour in China: strikes and the changing labour regime in global factories. New York: Routledge. (paperback March 2012).
- CHAN,, K.C.C. & HUI,, E.S.I. (2016). Direct Elections of Workplace Trade Unions in China: Implications for the changing labour regime. China at Work. C. Smith and M.W. Liu (ed.). New York. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wang, T. & Chan, C.K.C. (2015). Changing Faces of Chinese Labour Regimes: case studies in Beijing and Shenzhen. Global China: internal and external reaches. P.N. Wong and J. Cheng (ed.). Singapore. World Scientific.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Chiu, Y.B. (2015). Labour NGOs under State Corporatism: A Comparative Study on Taiwan in the 1980s and Contemporary China. Chinese Labor in Comparative Perspective. Anita Chan (ed.). (pp. 239 - 278). Ithaca, NY. Cornell University Press.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Hui, E.S.I. (2014). The Dynamics and Dilemma of Workplace Trade Union Reform in China: the case of Honda workers’ strike. Richet, Xavier; Delteil, Violaine; Dieuaide, Patrick (Eds.) Strategies of Multinational Corporations and Social Regulations: European and Asian Perspectives. Berlin. Springer.
- Chan, C.K.C. & Pun, N. (2014). The Making of a New Working Class? A Study of Collective Actions of Migrant Workers in South China. Social Transformation in China: Critical Concepts in Asian Studies, Jieyu Liu (ed.). New York. Routledge.
- Chan, C.K.C. (2012). Labour Policies under Hu-Wen's Regime: Transformation and Challenges. China - a new stage of development for an emerging superpower, Joseph Y S Cheng (ed.). (pp. 357 - 382). Hong Kong. City University of Hong Kong Press.
- Hui, E.S.I. & Chan, C.K.C. (2012). The Prospect of Trade Union Reform in China: The Cases of Wal-Mart and Honda. Industrial Democracy in China - With additional studies on Germany, South-Korea and Vietnam, Rudolf Traub-Merz; Kinglun Ngok (ed.). (pp. 103 - 120). Beijing. China Social Sciences Press.
- 许少英, & 陈敬慈, (2012). 中国工会改革的前景：以沃尔玛和本田为例. 鲁道夫特勞普-梅茨; 岳经纶编《中国产业民主兼论德国,韩国与越南》. (pp. 88 - 102). 北京. 中国社会科学出版社.
- 许少英, & 陈敬慈, (2011). 工会改革的动力与矛盾: 以本田罢工为例. 赵明华等编《中国劳动者维权问题研究》. (pp. 208 - 233). 北京. 社会科学文献出版社.
- Chan, C.K.C. , Ngai, P. & Chan, J. (2010). The role of the state, labour policy and workers’ struggles in globalized China. Globalization and Labour in China and India: Impacts and Responses. (pp. 45 - 63). London. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Dec 2014 - Now, Book Series Editor: Series in Asian Labor and Welfare Policies, Palgrave macmillan .
Service in CityU
- 2012 - Now, Programme Leader, Master of Social Sciences in Applied Sociology (MSSAS).
Research / Thesis Supervision
- 2015 - 2018, Bryce Swerhun, PhD Thesis (Labour Movement in Hong Kong and South Africa).
- 2012 - 2016, Lu Jian , PhD Thesis (Environmental Protest in China).
- 2015 - Now, SS5401 Social Science Perspectives .
- 2012 - 2015, CLA1601 Individuals and Society .
- 2010 - 2015, SS2024 Social Problems and Interventions .
- 2010 - Now, SS3427 Professional Internship in Applied Sociology.
- 2009 - Now, SS4595 Independent Study in Applied Sociology .
- 2009 - Now, SS6591 Integrative Project .
Last update date :
15 Mar 2016