Professor Rodney Jones
Professor, Department of English
Associate Director, Office of Education Development and Gateway Education
Professor Jones's main research interests include discourse analysis, health communication and language and sexuality. For the past fifteen years he has worked with colleagues such as Ron Scollon and Sigrid Norris in developing an approach to discourse analysis called mediated discourse analysis, an approach that focuses on how people use discourse along with other cultural tools to accomplish concrete social actions. This approach is outlined in his book Discourse in Action: Introducing Mediated Discourse Analysis (edited with Sigrid Norris, Routledge 2005). He has applied this approach to a variety of domains including computer mediated communication, sexual interaction, drug abuse, disability and collaborative writing. He is currently working on a number of projects including an examination of the role of discourse in the management of risk in everyday life and an exploration of practices of collaborative writing in the creative communication industries.
- Jones, Rodney. (2013). Verbal hygiene in the Hong Kong gay community. World Englishes. 32/1. 75 - 92.
- Jones, Rodney. (2010). Creativity and discourse. World Englishes. 29/4. 467 - 480.
- Jones, Rodney. (2009). Dancing, skating and sex: Action amd text in the digital age. Journal of Applied Linguistics. 6/3. 283 - 302.
- Jones, Rodney. (2013). Health and risk communication: An applied linguistic perspective. London: Routledge.
- Jones, Rodney. (2012). Discourse analysis. London: Routledge.
- Jones, Rodney. (2012). Discourse and creativity. Harlow, UK: Pearson Education.
- Scollon, R. , Scollon, S. W. & Jones, Rodney. (2012). Intercultural communication. (3rd ed.). London: Blackwell.
- Jones, Rodney. & Hafner, Christoph. (2012). Understanding digital literacies: A practical introduction. London: Routledge.
- Jones, Rodney. (2010). Noticing, exploring and practicing: Functional grammar in the ESL classroom. Balingstoke Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Jones, Rodney. (2014). Health risks and mediated discourse. Handbook of Language and Health Communication. (pp. 109 - 122). H. Hamilton and S. Chou (eds) London. Routledge.
- Jones, Rodney. (2011). Discourse, technology and bodies without organs. Language in the New Media. (pp. 321 - 339). C. Thurlow and K. Mroczek (eds.) Oxford. Oxford University Press.
- Jones, Rodney. (2010). Discourses of deficit / deficits of discourse: Computers, disability and mediated action. Discourses of deficit. (pp. 275 - 292). J. Crichton and C. Candlin (eds.) London. Plagrave.
- Jones, Rodney. (2010). Learning about AIDS online: Identity and expertise on a gay internet forum. Language and HIV/AIDS. (pp. 171 - 196). C. Higgins and B. Norton (eds.) Bristol. Multilingual Matters.
- Jones, Rodney. (2010). Physical spaces and virtual environments. Semiotic landscapes: Text, space and globalization. (pp. 151 - 167). A. Jaworski and C. Thurlow (eds.) London. Continuum.
Last update date :
01 Aug 2014