Dr. CHAN Kwok Hong Raymond (陳國康博士)
PhD Sociology (Essex)MA Social Service Planning (Essex)M Online Ed (USQ)Grad Cert Open & Distance Learning (USQ)HonDipSW (HKBU)Cert Psychotherapeutic (Derby)
RSW, Hong Kong Social Workers Registration Board
Associate Professor, Department of Applied Social Sciences
Director, Communication and Public Relations Office
CYC-4138 / AC1-Y7307
34422909 / 34429737
- Social Risk and Social Policy
- Life course social policy
- Comparative Social Policy in East Asia
- Labor Policy
- Family Changes and Policy
Journal - guest editorship (selected)
- The Implication of Gendered Care, Intergenerational Contract and Care Risk to the Development of Caring Regime, Ministry of Science & Technology, ROC, Aug 2016 - Now, Wang, L-R, Chan, R.K.H. .
- Inter-generational Conflict and Welfare Attitude: A Comparison of Hong Kong and Taiwan, College Research Grant, National Taiwan University College of Social Sciences, 2015 - Now, RKH Chan, LR Wang (NTU).
- Life Course Transition Risks and Management: A Study of Individuals Born between 1960 to 1984 in Hong Kong, Strategic Research Grant, CityUHK, 2014 - 2015, RKH Chan (PI).
- Double Burden of Care - comparative study of Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, Japan Soc for the Promotion of Science & Yokohama N'tl U., 2013 - Now, Soma Naoko, Junko Yamashita, Kate Wang, Raymond Chan.
- Chan, R K H. (Oct 2016). From transitional to permanent uncertainty: middle-aged workers’ employability in Hong Kong. Asian Social Work and Policy Review. 10/3. 358 - 374. doi:10.1111/aswp.12104
- Chan, RKH. , Duan, R. & Cheung, CK. (Dec 2015). Life-course, Individualization and Risk: The Social Policy Response 生命歷程、個體化及風險：社會政策的回應. Social Policy & Social Work 社會政策與社會工作學刊. 19/2. 1 - 30.
- Wang, Y. & Chan, R K H. (Nov 2015). Autonomous and Control: the Dilemma of Minban Education Reform in China. International Journal of Educational Development. 45. 89 - 97. doi:10.1016/j.ijedudev.2015.09.010
- Lin, Ka. & Chan, R K H. (Nov 2015). Repositioning three models of social policy with reference to East Asian welfare systems. International Social Work. 58/6. 831 - 839. doi:10.1177/0020872813503857
- Chan, R K H. & Wang, L R. (Oct 2015). Life Aspirations: Their Impact on Family and Work Conflict and Life Satisfaction in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Asian Social Work and Policy Review. 9/3. 307 - 325. doi:10.1111/aswp.12070
- Chan, R K H. (2015). Changing Life Courses and Risks in East Asian Societies. Korean Journal of Sociology. 49/3. 75-96 .
- Oishi, A. , Chan, R K H. , Wang, L R. & Kim, J. (2015). Do Part-time Jobs Mitigate Workers' Work-Family Conflict and Enhance Wellbeing? New Evidence from Four East-Asian Societies. Social Indicators Research. 121/1. 5 - 25. doi:10.1007/s11205-014-0624-8
- Chan, R K H. (2014). Crossing the ‘Border’: Migration under the One Country – Two Systems. Social Policy Review (CASS). 5. 37 - 57.
- Cheung, C K. , Chan, R K H. & Ho, W C. (2014). Feeling Close to Fellow Citizens in Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. Social Indicators Research. 119/1. 25 - 48. doi:10.1007/s11205-013-0483-8
- Chan, RKH. , Duan, R. & Cheung, CK. (2014). Individualization and Life-course Tasks Plan: implications on social policy arrangement. Twenty-first Century. 146. 81 - 96.
- Cheung, C K. , Wang, L L R. & Chan, R K H. (2013). Differential Impacts of Stressors on Sense of Belonging. Social Indicators Research. 113/1. 277 - 297.
- Chan, R K H. & Ho, W C. (2013). From passive assistance to capacity building: Assessing the Child Development Fund in Hong Kong. Asia-Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development. 23/2. 134 - 142.
- Chan, R K H. & Behling, F. (2013). Senior Employment: Current Condition, Challenges and Prospects. Journal of State and Society. 14. 1 - 54.
- Chan, R K H. & Chan, C K C. (2013). Shifting boundary between work and welfare – A review of Active Labour Market Policies in Hong Kong. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 6/1. 26 - 41.
- Chan, R K H. & Wang, Y. (2013). The Quest for Legitimacy in a Transitional Economy: A Comparison of Private Hospitals in China and Vietnam. Journal of Comparative Asian Development. 12/1. 60 - 83.
- Chan, R K H. (2013). The welfare-work nexus in East Asia – A comparison of contexts, paths and directions. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 6/1. 99 - 113.
- Chan, R K H. (2012). Competence Trust, Reflexivity and Risk Management in Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Political Science. 20/3. 267 - 283.
- Hu, K. & Chan, R K H. (2012). Social Capital and Civic Engagement in Urban China. International Journal of Social Quality. 2/2. 24 - 42.
- Chan, R K H. , Soma, N. & Yamashita, J. (2011). Care Regimes and Responses: the East Asian Experiences Compared. Journal of Comparative Social Welfare. 27/2. 175 - 186.
- Chan, R K H. (2011). Patterns and Paths of Care Regimes for Children and Elderly in Hong Kong. Journal of Comparative Social Welfare. 27/2. 155 - 164.
- Chan, R K H. & Hu, K. (2011). Primary Health Services Utilization and Inequality: The Emerging Symbiotic Public/Private Model in Hong Kong. Journal of Public and Private Healthcare Management and Economics. 1/4. 1 - 13.
- Chan, R K H. (2011). The Politics of Health Finance Reform in Hong Kong. International Journal of Public and Private Healthcare Management and Economics. 1/2. 17 - 25.
- Chan, R K H. & Hayashi, K. (2010). Gender Roles and Help-Seeking Behaviour: Promoting Professional Help among Japanese Men. Journal of Social Work. 10/3. 243 - 262.
- Cheung, C K. & Chan, R K H. (2010). Social Capital as Exchange: its Contribution to Morale. Social Indicators Research. 96/2. 205 - 227.
- Chan, R K H. (2009). Risk Discourse and Politics: Restructuring Welfare in Hong Kong. Critical Social Policy. 29/1. 24 - 52.
- Chan, R K H. (2009). New Social Risks and Changing Directions in Asian Family Policy. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 2/3. 310 - 314.
- Chan, R K H. (2009). Risk, Individualization and Family: Managing the Family in Hong Kong. Journal of Asian Public Policy. 2/3. 355 - 368.
- Chan, R K H. (2009). Self-Help Groups for Men in Hong Kong: Experiences and Prospects. International Social Work. 52/3. 343 - 356.
- Cheung, C K. & Chan, R K H. (2008). Facilitating Achievement by Social Capital in Japan. Journal of Socio-economics,. 37/6. 2261 - 2277.
- Chan, R K H. (2008). Risk, Reflexivity and Sub-politics Environmental Politics in Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Political Science. 16/3. 260 - 275.
- Chan, R K H. (2007). Social Quality in Hong Kong: Whose agenda? Which priorities?. National Taiwan University Social Work Review. 15. 39 - 88.
- Chan, R K H. (2006). Community Economic Development: Applications and Limitations in Hong Kong. International Social Work. 49/4. 483 - 493.
- Chan, R K H. (2006). Risk and its Management in Post-Financial Crisis Hong Kong. Social Policy & Administration. 40/2. 215 - 229.
- Chan, R K H. (2004). An Overview: Themed Section on Globalisation and Welfare Systems in Asia. Social Policy & Society. 3/3. 253 - 258.
- Chan, R K H. (2004). Globalisation, Unemployment and the Welfare Regimes in Hong Kong. Social Policy & Society. 3/3. 273 - 282.
- Chan, R K H. , Cheung, C K. & Peng, I. (2004). Social Capital and its Relevance to the Japanese-Model Welfare Society. International Journal of Social Welfare. 13/4. 315 - 324.
- Chan, R K H. (2003). Balancing Social and Economic Development in Korea – Flexible Labor Market Reforms and Productive Welfare. Journal of Comparative Asian Development. 1/2. 1 - 31.
- Chan, R K H. (2003). The Sustainability of Asian Welfare Systems after the Financial Crisis: Reflections on the Case of Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Social Sciences. 31/2. 172 - 198.
- Lai, J C L. & Chan, R K H. (2002). The Effects of Job-Search Motives and Coping on Psychological Health and Reemployment: A Study with Unemployed Hong Kong Chinese. International Journal of Human Resource Management. 13/3. 465 - 483.
- Moha Asri, A. & Chan, R K H. (2000). The Effects of Job-Search Motives and Coping on Psychological Health and Reemployment: A Study with Unemployed Hong Kong Chinese. Asian Profile. 28/6. 471 - 485.
- Chan, R K H. (1999). Taiwan’s Policy Towards Foreign Workers. Journal of Contemporary Asia. 29/3. 383 - 400.
- Chan, R. K H. , Zinn, J. O. & Wang, L R. (Jan 2016). (Eds.) New Life-Courses, Social Risks and Social Policy in East Asia. Abingdon: Routledge. 978-1-315-77290-5.
- Chan, R K H. , Wang, L R. & Zinn, J O. (2014). (Eds.) Social Issues and Policies in Asia: Family, Ageing and Work. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publisher. 978-1443859523.
- Chan, R K H. , Takahashi, M. & Wang, L L R. (2010). (Eds.) Risk and Public Policy in East Asia. Farnham: Ashgate. 978-0-7546-7895-3.
- Chan, R K H. , Ngan, R M H. & Leung, K H. (2002). (Eds.) Development in Southeast Asia: Review & Prospects. Aldershot: Ashgate. 978-0754618171.
- Kwok, J K F. , Chan, R K H. & Chan, W T. (2002). Self-Help Organizations of People with Disabilities in Asia. Westport, CT: Praeger. 978-0865693203.
- Chan, R K H. & Moha Asri, A. (1999). Foreign Labor in Asia: Issues and Challenges. New York, NY: Nova Sciences. 978-1560727149.
- Chan, R K H. (1996). Welfare in Newly-Industrialised Society: the construction of the welfare state in Hong Kong. Alderhost: Ashgate. 978-1859724644.
- Wang, Y. & Chan, R K H. (Feb 2016). Private tutoring cum boarding agencies and the controlled decentralization of China’s education system. Spotlight on China I: Changes in Education under China’s Market Economy. (pp. 153 - 170). Rotterdam. Sense Publishers.
- Chan, R K H. & Duan, R. (Jan 2016). Female Individualization and Implications on Social Policy in Hong Kong. New Life-Course, Social Risks and Social Policy in East Asia. (pp. 184 - 200). Abingdon. Routledge. 978-1-138-77695-1.
- Chan, R K H. , Zinn, J O. & Wang, L R. (Jan 2016). Life-course Sensitised Policy as Risk Management: Directions and Strategies in East Asia. New Life-Course, Social Risks and Social Policy in East Asia. (pp. 203 - 218). Abingdon. Routledge. 978-1-138-77695-1.
- Zinn, J O. , Chan, R K H. & Wang, L R. (Jan 2016). New Life Courses and Social Risks: Implications for Social Policy in East Asia. New Life-Course, Social Risks and Social Policy in East Asia. (pp. 1 - 19). Abingdon. Routledge. 978-1-138-77695-1.
- Tang, X. & Chan, R K H. (2015). New Citizens in Urban China: From Exclusion to Inclusion. Global China: Internal and External Reaches. (pp. 165 - 191). Singapore. World Scientific.
- Chan, R K H. , Wang, L R. & Zinn, J O. (2014). Social Issues and Policies in Asia: An Overview. Social Issues and Policies in Asia: Family, Ageing and Work. (pp. 1 - 21). Newcastle upon Tyne. Cambridge Scholars Publisher.
- Yamashita, J. , Soma, N. & Chan, R K H. (2013). Re-examining Family-centred Care Arrangement in East Asia. East Asia Social Policy Handbook. (pp. 474 - 492). Cheltenham. Edward Elgar.
- Chan, R K H. (2010). Managing Family Risk in Hong Kong: How and Why. Risk and Public Policy in East Asia. (pp. 89 - 105). Farnham. Ashgate.
- Chan, R K H. , Takahashi, M. & Wang, L L R. (2010). Introduction: Risk and Public Policy in East Asia. Risk and Public Policy in East Asia. (pp. 1 - 11). Farnham. Ashgate.
- 2013 - Now, External Examiner - Higher Diploma in Social Work, Chinese University of Hong Kong – School of Continuing Education .
- 2009 - Now, Assessor, Social Work Qualification Assessment Panel, Social Workers Registration Board.Hong Kong.
Service in CityU
- Jul 2016 - Now, Communications and Public Relations Office, Director.
- Nov 2015 - Jun 2016, Communication and Public Relations Office, Acting Director.
- 2013 - 2016, City University of Hong Kong , Dean of Students .
- 2013 - Now, Member, Management Board, City University of Hong Kong.
- 2013 - Now, Member, Committee Against Sexual Harassment, City University of HK.
- Jul 2011 - Jan 2012, Acting Head, Department of Applied Social Studies.
- 2011 - 2013, Programme Leader, BSocSc Applied Sociology.
- 2006 - 2012, Associate Head, Department of Applied Social Studies.
- 2006 - 2008, Founding Programme Leader, MSocSc Applied Sociology.
- 2005 - 2006, Founding Programme Leader, MSocSc Social Work.
- 2002 - 2007, Founding Residence Master, City University of Hong Kong HSBC .
Research / Thesis Supervision
- Sep 2016 - Now, PhD - Miss Chan LIU, Fund Raising in China.
- Sep 2016 - Now, PhD - Miss Tianli QIAN, Elderly Care in China.
- Sep 2013 - Now, PhD - Miss Ran DUAN, Individualisation in Workplace in China.
- Sep 2012 - May 2016, PhD - Miss Xiaoqing TANG - Social Inclusion in Urban China.
- Sep 2008 - May 2012, PhD - Dr. Kang HU, Civic Engagement in Urban China.
- Sep 2007 - Aug 2010, PhD - Dr. Ying WANG, Managing Institutions - Minban Secondary School in China.
- 2012 - 2015, Social Welfare Servies and Issues.
- 2008 - Now, Soical Risk Analysis.
- 2006 - 2014, Integrative Project - MSocSc Applied Sociology.
- 2005 - 2013, Contemporary Social Welfare: Issues and Debates.
External Academic / Research Positions
- Research Fellow, Center for Economic and Social Studies in Asia, Yokohama National University, Yokohama, Japan, 2012 -
- Research Fellow, Risk Society and Policy Research Center, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, 2010 -
- Visiting Professor, Department of Social Work, Changsha Social Work College, Changsha, Hunan, China, 2006 –
- Research Associate, Southeast Asia Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong, 2003 –
- Visiting Professor, Department of Sociology, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University, June - August 2010
Editorial Board Memberships
- Journal of Comparative and International Social Policy
- International Journal of Public & Private Healthcare Management and Economics
Open Journal of Political Science
- International Journal of Social Science Studies
- Open Journal of Social Sciences
Last update date :
31 Oct 2016