Withdrawal of Studies


Notification of Withdrawal of Studies
Students who do not plan to continue their studies at the University should submit the withdrawal notification via AIMS. Upon receipt of the withdrawal notification, the Academic Regulations and Records Office will send an email acknowledgement to the student.  


Steps of Notifying Withdrawal of Study via AIMS:
  1. Go to CityU home page.
  2. Click "AIMS" under "Quick Links".
  3. Use your electronic ID and password to login "AIMS".
  4. Select "Student Record".
  5. Select "My Applications (for Undergraduates and Taught Postgraduate Programmes)".
  6. Select "Withdrawal from Studies".
  7. Fill in the form and confirm your withdrawal of studies.
  8. Print out a copy of the Confirmation Page for your record.
  9. To protect your own privacy, make sure that you have exited from "AIMS" before leaving your computer terminal.

An email will be sent to the student to acknowledge receipt of the notification.


Effecting the Withdrawal of Studies
Withdrawal will normally take effect from the date of submission of the notification as recorded in AIMS. However, notification submitted during or after the examination period will take effect only from the following semester.

Fees Chargeable for Withdrawal of Studies
Students are not liable for the tuition fee of the semester/term if the withdrawal notification is submitted up to the end of Week 2.

If the notification of withdrawal is submitted from Week 3 till the end of Week 6# in Semester A/B (or the end of Week 3# in Summer Term), the student will be required to pay 50% of the tuition fee for that semester/term, or the minimum tuition for two credit units (for programmes charged on a per credit unit basis), whichever is higher.

If the notification of withdrawal is submitted in Week 7# and afterwards in Semester A/B (or Week 4# and afterwards in Summer Term), the student will be liable for 100% of the tuition fee for that semester/term, or the minimum tuition for two credit units (for programmes charged on a per credit unit basis), whichever is higher.

# Sunday is the start day of the week. Click here for the Academic Calendar.

For new students, the acceptance fee paid at the time of admission will not be refunded under any circumstances.

Students studying on programmes that do not follow the University Academic Calendar should follow the timelines and regulations specified by the respective programmes.

Click here to see the Regulations on Tuition Fees in details.


Settling Matters with the University upon Withdrawal
Students are required to settle the following matters within 10 working days upon notification of withdrawal:
  • Settle all outstanding fees in the student account
  • Return all outstanding loans to the Library and settle all outstanding fines
  • Clear your accounts in the Computing Services Centre
  • Vacate your locker and complete the necessary procedures with the Student Development Services
  • Clear all outstanding matters with your Department/Division/School
  • Cut your student identity card into halves and return it by mail to the Academic Regulations and Records Office (Address: 5/F Fong Yun Wah Building, City University of Hong Kong, 83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon)
The graduation fee will be refunded if students have settled all outstanding matters with the University.


Unpaid Tuition Fees
Students who have withdrawn from studies but still have outstanding fees in their student accounts will be flagged in the student record system as debtors. The graduation fee will not be refunded. These students will be required to clear the amount when seeking admission/re-admission to the University in future.


Informing the SFO
If you are an applicant of Tertiary Student Finance Scheme - Publicity-funded Programmes or Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students and/or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme in the current academic year, you should notify the Student Financial Office (SFO) about your withdrawal of studies immediately in writing. The SFO will review your application and adjust your entitlements of financial assistance, if necessary. In the event that there is overpayment of financial assistance, you are required to refund the amount overpaid immediately upon demand.